nine-The Gathering

Impressions can be seen from different angles. One may find negative what is positive to the other.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Everybody slim it. It's time to vote."

It was midday and the gathering with the keepers has started 5 minutes ago. I was sitting in the back and was allowed to witness, but they clearly said no speaking so I shut up for as long as I could.
Alby was leading the gathering about the fate of Hank and niw it's time to decide.

"The rule was clear, anyone who touches the girl gets to sleep with te Grievers.

Who agrees on banishing Hank, raise your hand if you do."

More than half of the keepers approved, except for gally and his friends of course. But they don't stand a change against the power of the majority. It looks like Hank's going to get banished,
and I can't have that.

I stood up from my chair and walked to the middle of the homestead before I spoke.

"I disapprove." They all looked at me in surprise, but didn't tell me to shut up. Maybe because they're curious about my motives.

"Hank gets to stay. I won't rob him of his change of escaping because of an action he can't even remember. He was drunk, didn't know what he was doing."

Minho looks at me and I knew he knew I was lying.

I didn't do it for Hank, in fact I would throw him on a griever myself. I'm doing this for my father. He told me to get everyone out, so that I'll do. Even if it means bringing that asshole with me.

"Who said you're allowed to speak?" Gally said.

I just walked back to my seat and sat. I think I've said enough now.

"Okay. Let's continue." Alby started again. "Anyone who approves, raise your hand."

There was silence. No one raised their hand, they all just looked at each other.
I caught Newt looking at me with confusion and I gave him a smile to tell him it was okay.

"Well, it's decided then. No banishing today. But... he won't get away with this unpunished, it would ruin the order around here. I suggest five days in the slammer."
The majority approved and they stepped over on a different subject.

The job I'll get.

Every keeper spoke out over me and my skills with their job. Most of them said I didn't qualify, which is good. But the med-jacks said I would do good as one of them, which wasn't good.
I looked at minho who looked back. He gave me a small nod and stood up.

"I suggest we make the shank a runner."

It caused a lot of mumbling along the keepers, but it went silent when Alby stood up.

"I agree. I've seen her run, she's fast and since she beat Gally I think she has the guts to be one too. We should use her skills, increase our chances of solving the maze."

Newt agreed too and slowly more hands filled the air.

"Ya crazy?! She tried to go in the maze the moment she woke up, don't you guys find that even a little suspicious. Now you guys are letting he go in freely?"

"She wanted to escape the glade, just like all of us. Nothing wrong with that." Newt said.

"I can't believe ya shanks. She's been here like 3 days!"

"Gally slim it and vote." Alby interrupted.

"I'm against it." He said angrily.

"You wouldn't say." Minho reacted sassy.

--

"It's settled then. Kira gets to be a runner. Gathering's over, now get ya asses back to work."

I walked over to Newt while everyone left the homestead. Newt was leaning against a pillar and looked at me in confusion.

"I don't get ya. Why would you defend Hank and then the runner thing."

"You don't have to get me." I started. "I know what I'm doing."

"Yeah, that's what confuses me. The moment you woke up here you seem to know what you're doing. You didn't freak out and you didn't try to distant yourself That's weird, isn't it."

He's suspecting something. Damn I need to be more careful.

"It's because I don't like presenting myself as a weak little girl. I just focused on the things I did know, like my name and then I slowly added more information to the list. Like my surroundings and the people living here. Really helps."

The best lies are close to the truth.

"Seems logical, but not entirely. You're lucky I need to go, but we'll get back at this."

"Looking forward to it." I answered.

I actually really did, because next time I'll tell him the truth, I'll tell everyone the truth.

Because next time we'll be out.