ten

Don't trust words, trust actions

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What the hell?!"

I was immediately wide awake and was up in a sitting position.

"Rise and shine." Minho said with a smirk.

"You could've just wake me a normal way ya know." I said as I sprained the water out of my hair.

He literally dropped a bucket of water over me, just like newt said he would. I thought he was just kidding.

"I like this way better, new clothes are under my bed on the right. Meet you downstairs in five." He walked out closing the door behind me.
Geez, it'll already take five minutes to brush my hair.

--

"I said five." Minho said when I reached him.

"And I did it in ten." I said while walking past him.

"Come on, can't wait to get into the maze."

He followed me outside.
"Yeah, sorry to ruin your dreams princess. No running in the maze today."

I turned around in confusion.
"What do you mean no running? I through I was a runner?"

"Not yet. First you'll have to train."

"Seriously? I don't need training, I bet I'm even fitter than you."

"Oh is the princess starting to get arrogant?"

"Been like that all my life." I said as I fell into a print.

Minho caught up with me and together we ran a few laps around the glade.

--

We were sitting against the wall of the maze. It was past dinnertime and we've been training all day for the past few days. All the while I could follow minho really easy, but he wouldn't let me in the maze. Not yet.
We sat in silence for a while.

I checked our surroundings for any beetle blades or microphones before I broke it

"Why did you proposed to make me a runner?"

I got silence as an answer and when I wanted to stand up to get some water he finally spoke.

"You haven't lost your memories have you?"

I looked at him in surprise but he was just staring at the glade which was lighted by the evening sun.

"What?" I said with a little insurance in my voice.

"It's not hard to miss. Everyone here has a little emptiness in their eyes, like their missing a part of themselves. But not you, your eyes are bright and full of confidence. You know stuff about all this, don't you. You're here for a reason. "

I was right. He's exactly like me. He sees right through me. He figured it out, without me telling him and it scares me. If he could find out with no information at all, wicked will too.
But why is he training me to run the maze? Why is he helping me?

"Why haven't you told the others? I could be working with wicked.

You barely know me, so why trust me?"

It took a while before he answered.

"Instinct is the most important thing a person has.
It helps you survive, it always has and always will, you just need to let I lead you."
He paused a second before he continued.

"My instinct tells me you're on our side, that your reason to be here our way out is. I know it sounds like klunk but..."

"You're right." I whispered it really softly afraid someone might hear.

He finally looked me in the eyes. He had a sparkle of trust and hope in his and I felt like I found an ally.

But I can't tell him everything, it's too risky. The more people know the sooner wicked knows too.

He nodded to Newt and Thomas who were waiting for him and stood up.
"Go to bed early, tomorrow we're going into the maze."

He walked away and I watched him disappearing into the homestead with Newt and Thomas.

It's pretty funny how people judge other people by their covers. You can say that you don't, but then you're lying. Everybody does it and it's normal, I do it too.

I read Minho's dossier time after time, it just had something interesting. It said minho was distant and acted cold and arrogant to everybody, like he didn't care about the other gladers. He also barely talks to 'unimportant' gladers.
But it also said that the gladers looked up to him and that they really respected him. They would come to him for guidance and support.
I found it really weird cause how could people look up to him when he's like that.
I used to really dislike minho, because of the description in his dossier

Now I understand a bit though. He indeed is distant, but I think he does that for a reason;
He acts cold and arrogant, but behind that there's compassion, independence, loyalty and intelligence. He sees right through people and understands them;
He doesn't talk much to other gladers, but he seems to know them all;
He's not responsible for any of the boys living here, but he still watches over every single one of them; And he seems to know exactly what he's doing.
He seems to be the actual leader here, a depended one though.