thirteen

...but always has a breaking point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I snuk into the medical room and watched Teresa as she was sleeping in the bed.

"why did you ever agree? Why do you trust them? You know I can't take you with me right.
I'm really sorry.
I used to think I could help you see the true wicked like I do, but I'm afraid it's to late now." I grabbed her hand and squeezed a little in it before I let her go.

I silently left the room and went towards the woods.
On my way there I saw Newt talking to Thomas and Chuck. I never spoke much to them only with dinner, but they still feel as friends. We used to sit together around the dinner table. Newt, Thomas, Chuck, Zent, Minho and me. Laughing together, talking about funny incidents that had happened that day.

It will never be the same again, we'll never come back here. Tomorrow we're all gone. We'll be gone before wicked has me, before they can torture me.

I disappeared into the woods and snuk through it not caring about the bruises forming themselves on my legs. I went on determined to succeed plan F.

The walls of the maze looked bigger and more intimidating in the moonlight like the maze was trying to scare me away. As if it knew I was going to shut it down. But I'm not scared, not anymore. As long as there's hope I'll be strong and fight, for them.

I took a deep breath and entered the maze. I ran with determines in my eyes, turned left and right. I couldn't hear my surroundings anymore I just focused on the path towards the sign.

I ran until I reached the wall, this is it, the moment of truth.
I put my hands against the wall and the network of blue wires showed itself. I closed my eyes and focused on the right frequency. In my head I solved the strong firewalls of the maze's walls. My head started to hurt. It's not made to solve these kinds of firewalls, but it has to work.

My father used to tell me that he never needed easy, he just needed possible. And that's exactly what I needed too.

The network of wires turned a brighter blue and the door to section four opened itself.

I smiled and ran through, I could littarly see which way I had to go. I just had to follow the glowing blue wire showing itself against the wall.
I took a few turns before I stopped abruptly by the sight of the first Griever I've ever seen.

It was bulbous, slimy and had many appendages like spikes, shears and rods. It had terrible sharp fangs and teeth and saliva was coming out of its mouth. But that didn't make me freeze, it was its overal experience that made me scared as shuck.

It looked like a huge monstrous spider.

I couldn't move anymore, all I could do was look at the dreadful thing. I knew they were walking around the maze, but I never knew how they looked. Why the klunk make it look like a spider?

I actually have quite a trauma thanks to spiders. One stung me once and let's just say it was a near dead experience.

The Griever was whirring and clicking around a two split. He hasn't seen me yet so I could still sneak away, if I was able to move. Oh god, I'm gonna die.

I suddenly felt a hand covering my mouth and the person it belonged to dragged me around the corner and pinned me against the ivy. I tried to free myself but stopped when I saw who it was.
"what the hell are you doing here?" I tried to say, but is sounded more like growling and mumbling mixed together.

"Quiet, shuckface." He whispered. "Trying to get yourself killed?"

I heard the Griever coming towards us and Minho pushed us in the thick layer of ivy. His body was pressed against mine as we were waiting for the Griever to go away. I found it really hard not to scream and Minho noticed. He took my hand and I felt a little more safe.

The Griever left after a while and I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding.

Minho dragged me out of the ivy and smiled when I tried to fix my hair. When I finished I turned my attention towards him.

"What the klunk are you doing here? I told you you all those terrible things, you should hate me right now."
My voice broke in the middle of the sentence.
He smiled at me and crossed his arms.
"Remember I told you I could see when you're lying."

A small smile showed itself. Yep, exactly like me. I felt the warmth returning to my body as I realised everything is going to be okay. I know where the sign is, the technology of my father works and Minho's not mad at me.

"Here's your flashlight by the way."

"No you keep it. I can see in the dark."

"What?"

Now it was my time to surprise him.

I walked to the wall and laid my hand against it. The glowing blue wire showed itself again and my eyes got their bright shining blue colour back.

Minho looked at me in surprise.
"What the klunk are you?" He said confused but curious.

"I'm plan B" I said determined as I turned around and followed the blue wire again.

We've ran a few hours and it'll only take a few more before the doors open again. The sign needs to be activated before then. I raised our pace keeping my eyes on the wire as we run.

---

"Here it is. The backdoor my father created."

"Your father?"

"Yeah.
I never told you about his work, have I?"

"I get a feeling he did a lot more than erasing names from a list."

I chuckled.

"Yes indeed. He's the creator of the maze."

I saw minho's surprised gaze and I smiled.

"Pretty weird huh. He didn't do it willingly though. They kind of forced him, but it turned out to be a great thing. He became the inside source for the resistance. He gathered all the information he could get and put in on a chip together with a virus which could hack the maze and activate the loophole he created in the design.

It could activate a door which would lead into the maze. That way the resistance could storm in and free the teenagers.

But of course wicked could fight back if they still had the control over their technology, so he made the virus block their computers for an hour when it touched the symbol.

He put a loophole in every maze design so that the resistance could free every kid trapped in one.
His plan was to escape wicked with me and my mother, to go back to the Right Arm and bring wicked down with the content of the chip.
But of course no one works with just one plan so he made a plan B and that was his child.

He has trained me as long as I can remember and when I was old enough he asked me if I wanted to be his plan B.

After I agreed we went to my mother's lab and she secretly planted a copy of the chip in my brain along with a stabiliser in my shoulder. The tattoos I have are made with conductive ink so that they can pas the impulses of the chip on to my hands."

"That's some heavy klunk."

"Yeah" I said while inspecting the symbol in the wall.

"What happened to plan A"

I stopped with what I was doing for a second.

"He died"

I looked him right in the eye with confidence sparkling in mine.

"But he died for what he believed in and it's time to make that come true."

I turned to the symbol and raised my hand to let it get in contact with the symbol.