fourteen

Sometimes you need to fall before you can rise. And sometimes all it takes is your friends to lift you up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can see strength in different ways. I used to think there was only one kind of strength, the one that you get yourself by bearing things other people can't.
But i was wrong. You see, that's just one part of it, a small piece of a far more greater whole: the strength you get from others.

--

"What's wrong?"

"I think the Griever damaged your stabiliser"

"Damn it, how bad?"

"Your skin is torn apart a bit...how come your not bleeding?"

"It's fake skin."

"Oh. Well, now a part of it is gone and the stabiliser is visible."

"Okay good. There's supposed to be an off switch, a red one. I want you to turn the stabiliser off for now, cause the electricity is leaking into my body."

"Found it."

I let a sign of relief leaving my lips and I turned around.

"We need to go back, I think I know someone who can fix it."

"Can you run?"

"Yeah."

"Then let's get our asses out of here."

We started running and heard griever coming our way.
"Great, like we haven't got enough trouble."

"Just keep moving we'll lose them in the maze. Follow me and run like your life depends on it. Because it does." He said while raising our pace.
He pulled his knife and in one movement he cut off a piece of ivy, threw it behind us and kept running.

"If those are bread crumbs then you're Gretel."

"I thought you were the the girl here."

"Now way. There's a reason I hate dresses."

"I thought it looked pretty good on ya."

He took a turn to the left and then immediately to the right.

"But I like this too."

I blushed and was really happy I was running behind him and not next to him. we took a few more turns and ran till we couldn't hear the Grievers anymore.

He ran to the closest exit and the doors were opening right when we ran around the corner. We saw the gladers turn towards us in surprise as we ran into the glade. They stopped with what they were doing and stared at us.

"What now?"

"You need to find Hank and the others, I'll go get something out of our room."

"Got it. I'll be in the homestead in ten." He said as he ran away.

---

"Kira what's going on?" Newt asked worried.

"I've been lying to you, all of you.
I'm not like you, I remember.

I've sent myself here to get you guys out, but there's a problem and Hank here is going to solve it."

"What?!" Hank said in surprise.
"Why would I help you? Because of you I was is the slammer for five days."

I looked at him.

"Because of me you weren't banished. You owe me."

He got silent for a while before he spoke.