fifteen

Holy crap, I'm scared.
Holy crap, you're human. You should be scared.

-James Dashner
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It's blue, but not dark blue.
The kind of blue of a cloudless sky on a sunny day."

"What?"

We were laying in the grass of the glade looking up in the sky. My head was resting on his chest and we were listening to the peaceful sounds of the birds. The sun was shining bright and warmed our skins.

I remember the last time I laid here, back then I was crumbling under the weight. Back then I was all alone. Back then was only days ago, funny how much can change in so little time.

"Remember you told me you didn't know my favourite colour? Well, it's blue."

I smiled.
"So now we're laying under your favourite colour."

"No, this kind of blue is different. It's a fake. I meant the real sky, with the real sun shining in it."

"Will you promise me that you'll lay with me under a sky like that someday?"

He took my hand and squeezed a little.

"Tomorrow," Minho whispered. "Somehow, some day."

I closed my eyes.
I can't really describe my feelings right now, I have never felt like this before. It's like I'm a bird, like I can fly away any minute. It feels like I'm free, even though we're still trapped in the maze. I feel like I don't have to worry about everything anymore and I love it.

"When we're out I'm going to organise a summer camp." I suddenly said.

Minho laughed.
"You are the shuckiest shuck-faced shuck in the world, you know that right?"

"Yeah. But I'm still tougher than you."

"Oh yeah." He said as he grabbed me and turned me over on my back, he held my hands above my head and I smiled remembering the first time we met.

I looked him in the eyes and they had the same sparkle of happiness in them as mine.

He leaned in and kissed me.

His kiss was passionate, desperate and rough.
I kissed him back with the same passion.

After a while I pulled away because I was out of breath.

He looked at me and now I smirked back.
He figured it out when I was already on top of him.

"Never let your guard down." I said sweetly.

----

"It's time."

"I know." I moved myself in a sitting position.
"I'm scared." I said while picking some spires.

Minho stood up and held out his hand.

"If you ain't scared...you ain't human."

--

We were walking to Newt, Thomas, Zent, Alby and Gally who were standing next to the homestead handing out weapons.

"Done screwing each other?" Gally said while giving a small knife to a chortling Chuck.

Minho ignored it and turned to Newt. "We can only take a small group into the maze, when we triggered the symbol the Grievers will shut down. Till then the other need to defend themselves here in the glade."

Newt nodded and looked at Alby.

"Zent and I will stay here to lead the gladers in the glade.

Minho you go with Gally, Newt, Thomas and your runners into the maze, make sure the Grievers can't get to Kira."

Minho nodded and went to get his runners.

"What am I supposed to do?" Chuck said. I could see fear in his eyes and I put my hand on his shoulder.
"You see this?" I put a shiny small disc in his hands.

"It's the chip that has the information to bring down wicked. I need you to hold on to it. Put your thumb on it."

He did as I told him and looked back at me.

"You're important Chuck."
He looked at the small disc in his hands as I focused on Alby.

"Make sure Chuck makes it I, he has the key to everything.
The chip only activates with Chuck's fingerprint." Alby nodded

"Kira, you and Minho form a good team, always knew you would.
Look after him for me okay?"

I smiled and gave him a slight nod before I went to find Minho.

I walked to him and gave him back my flashlight.
"It doesn't work anymore."

"What did you do?"

"Told a little white lie."

---

Everyone was ready to go.

Alby was standing on the opposite side of my group together with Chuck, Zent and the other gladers.

"Shouldn't someone give a pep talk?" Minho asked breaking the silence.

"Go ahead." Newt replied.

Minho nodded and stepped forward.

"Be careful," he said dryly, "don't die."

I laughed a little. This shank is a shucking genius.

-"Great. We're all bloody inspired."
Newt answered then pointed over his his shoulder toward the maze,
"you all know the plan. After two years of being treated like mice, tonight we're making a stand. Tonight we're taking the fight back to the creators, no matter what we have to go through to get there. Tonight the Grievers better be scared."-*

Alby walked deeper into the glade with the rest following him as we turned around and prepared ourselves to run.

Minho stood next to me and checked hid equipment.
"I meant what I said.
If you die I'll kill you."

"I don't think that's possible."

"I'll figure out a way."

"Than I promise I'll live and you don't have to, but if we don't make it, I want you to know that I think I love you."

"I think you definitely love me."

"Now you're supposed to say you love me too."

"I won't."

I looked at him with hurt in my eyes.

"Hold it in princess.
I'll tell you when we're laying under that shucking blue sky."

"Deal." I said smiling.

"Done talking shit, shanks?"
Gally said impatiently.

"Man you're one but-load of sunshine, let me tell you."

"Wauw, thanks."

Minho started running with the rest following him into the darkness of the maze.

------------------------------------------------------

* this is a citation from the book the maze runner by James Dashner.