eighteen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sight of the two boys with the Griever was horrible. There was blood and slime everywhere.
The runner who's name I don't remember was laying the closest to the Griever and had the sucker's blade in his stomach. His body was completely ripped open and was covered in blood. His face was covered in cuts and had an expression of pure terror petrified on it, like he's screaming the place down without sound.

He must have been in a lot of pain.

I didn't dare to look at the other boy, afraid that it was Minho who was laying there.

Thomas saw and went to the boy to check for any signes of life. I waited for Thomas to say something and tried to stay calm.

I finally calmed down a bit and when he didn't tell me anything I got impatient and asked Thomas what was going on.
"Oh yeah sorry, ehmm. He's okay I think, just covered in blood with some superficial cuts here and there. I could be wrong though, he's laying half under the head of the Griever so I can't see if he's badly hurt over there, but he's breathing so that good. I finally dared to look and it was Minho indeed. His once raven black hair was now partly red and his face also had blood on it. His shirt was ripped apart and he had some cuts on his chest, but they had stopped bleeding and weren't dangerous. I walked over to his unconscious body and I checked for other damage. When I concluded there wasn't any I pulled him away from the Griever's head together with Thomas.

"What do you think happened?"
Thomas asked.

"I don't know, can't be any good though.

Let's try to wake this shank up, shall we. We're running out of time."

He nodded and gave me space.
I squat beside Minho and shook hid shoulders, no response.
I shook harder, no response.
I called his name, no response.
You guys know I'm a very impatient person so I got irritated and hit him on his cheek.
"Wake up you slinthead shuckfaced piece of klunk!"

He growled and opened his eyes.
"That wasn't necessary, slinthead." He said sassy he rubbed over his cheek.

"Would you prefer a bucket of cold water next time?" I asked sweetly.

He laughed.
"That's why you're one of the few people I don't despise."

"Ehm guys? Might be a good time to head back to the glade."

"You're right." Minho said as he slowly stood up.

He walked past the lifeless boys of the runner and had a hurt look in his eyes. He blinked it away and started running towards the entrance of the glade with us close behind.

---

"How many?"

"20 if you include Zent and Alby."

"So that means we're with 20 now. Any gladers badly injured?"

"Yeah, Jeff can't walk properly anymore and Winston has a major injury on his arm, the rest of us mostly have bruises and superficial cuts."

Minho nodded and looked around the glade, which was close to completely destroyed.
Not much to describe actually, it's all messed up. Fields destroyed, buildings collapsed, trees capsized, etc.

"Everybody's here right, then let's get the klunk out of here."

"What about the other girl?"
Someone said.

"She's with wicked, we need to leave her here. Wicked will come for her soon enough." I said it loud enough for everyone to hear. They looked a little shocked, but that didn't take long.

---

Minho and I were running in the front and led the group through the turns and twists of the maze.
Minho noticed I ran slower than I normally do and asked about it. I told him it was nothing and that it wasn't a serious injury. He had a little suspicion in his eyes, but didn't ask further. We're clearly not done with this conversation yet.

After ten minutes we reached the symbol which still had it's beautiful blue glow.

I pushed against it and an opening appeared next to the symbol. I wanted to go first, but Minho stopped me. I stepped aside and smiled in myself.
Still trying to protect me.
I went after him and almost burst into laughter when he nearly fell from the small stone stairs. I gave me an angry look and I couldn't hold it anymore. I laughed really hard and got strange looks from the gladers behind me.
"Here let me help you." I said as I touched the walls on both sides of me. A few smal blue glowing wires appeared and lighted the passage before us.

"Geez thanks for doing that so quickly." Minho said sarcastically.
"Well, you wanted tovgo first."

"Doesn't mean you can't create some light in this shucking corridor."

"Guys, escape now, talk later." I heard Newt say behind us.

We walked down the long corridor until we reached a door. It littarly said 'emergency exit' and I smiled remembering my father's humor.

I took the doorknob and looked over my shoulder.
"Ready?"

"Just open the bloody door already." Newt said impatient.

I chuckled and pushed the heavy stone door open revealing a group of armed men with guns in their hands.