> part one <

"Simon?" Mallie recognised him. Once she had said it, she felt amazed on how she hadn't recognised him before. "Simon Minter?"

Mallie was a nice girl, very polite and respectful to anyone she met - always had been. But back in school, when she was eleven to seventeen, Simon was in her class - and they did NOT get along. Simon and his friends Josh and Tobi would always pick on her, knowing they could wind her up. In the younger years, it was little childish things, like saying she couldn't sit near them or putting chewing gum in her hair. However as they got older, everyone began to mature but their intelligence grew. But sometimes it went the wrong way. Simon would figure out how to bully her, hurt her - 'accidentally' pushing her into walls, pulling her hair as she walked past. Simon would often tell the ruder girls in the class that Mallie had been spreading horrible rumours about them, causing them to start a fight with her. Mallie never fought back. She was fairly strong-willed but sometimes she caved in. She cried, she hurt but she would pull herself together. Being an only child meant that she had no one to back her up so she was well trained in doing it herself. Just not when it came to violence.

It was only in college, aged seventeen, when it got too far. The two of them had both taken A Level Chemistry unknowingly and - to Mallie's distress - had been put into the same class. Josh and Tobi would often come and sit in the class when they were doing practical experiments because the teacher didn't mind. One day they were doing a simple starter, testing the pH levels of something. Simon and Josh were testing a strong acid...

* December 5th 2013 *
** Mallie, aged 17 **
*** Chemistry Room - C8 ***

"I know I say this every time, but just be careful because..." The teacher, Sally, explained the health and safety rules to the class. Mallie sat with her new friend, Kirsty, doing the experiment. "You may start."

The pair slid down their goggles and began working as they spoke.

"I can't wait until I'm eighteen." Kirsty moaned, trying to take the bottle lid off the acid with her gloves on. Mallie took hers off when Sally wasn't looking and did it bare handed. Kirsty wagged a finger before carrying on. "When's your birthday?"

"She doesn't celebrate her birthday because her parents hate her." Simon sniggered in the background, eavesdropping into their conversation. Mallie ignored it, knowing it wasn't true. She'd figured after all these years that if she didn't retaliate then they would get bored. Josh laughed along with him and Kirsty turned around to the boys she didn't know and glared before turning back.

"June 26th," Mallie replied, rolling her eyes at Kirsty and she giggled slightly. She lowered her voice. "He's such a dick you know he-"

"Psssst!" Simon purposely shouted his whisper. "Josh, do you think they can hear us?"

"No," Josh practically shouted in a wispy voice. "Now we can talk about that ugly thing without them hearing."

Mallie just ignored their attempts to get to her but Kirsty wasn't used to it. Kirsty turned around to face the two boys, who were on the desk behind them. Simon held the acid in his hand, doing the experiment on his own.

"Why are you so fucking rude?" Kirsty snapped at the boys, she had never met them but she knew a horrible person when she met one.

"Ooh! Fiesty!" Tobi laughed in the background. Mallie bit her lip, not wanting Kirsty to get involved. She turned her body half way and pulled Kirsty lightly from her elbow.