> part fourteen <

"I don't like her." Josh denied, looking away from JJ and tutting. He knew damn right that was a lie but he tried to put it off. He saw JJ's eyes and Vikk's unconvinced face tell otherwise.

"Come on Josh - we're all friends here." Vikk gestured for him to tell the truth but Josh just groaned.

"It was a one time thing alright." Josh blurted out, not saying what he was aiming to say. He stiffened up a little.

"Something already happened?" JJ sat forward in his seat and pulled Josh eagerly by the sleeve for him to sit up and look at him. "Josh - we spoke about this. It was so obvious Simon was going for her."

Vikk and JJ edged closer to Josh as if they were telling a secret. Vikk was sat opposite so he leant forward. Their faces showed no humour and Josh's expressed a lot of seriousness.

"I wouldn't say it was a very romantic moment. She used me as a cover up to hide from George in the street and she kissed me and I don't know man, I kissed back." Josh rubbed his eyes and let out a sigh.

"Does Simon know?" Vikk asked.

"No," Josh threw his arms up like it was obvious. "It only happened yesterday. Mallie and I weren't exactly talking until this happened and I just-"

"Absolutely coo'ed over her?" JJ finished his sentence and Josh tutted again, waving a hand at him.

"Sorry but it's hard not to feel like you owe someone who you watched get acid poured on their hand and didn't stop them." It went silent and Josh let out his frustration. Vikk's eyes just went wide and JJ's looked at Vikk for a cue.

"Josh - he didn't know about that."

• • •

"Pick up your phone!" Simon had his phone on loud speaker in the car as he quickly but carefully drove back from Berkhamstead. Worried out of his mind, not receiving any calls back from Josh or Mallie, he decided to leave early and head straight for the hospital.

Something in his heart begged that Mallie was okay, not knowing that her recovery had been updated to most likely fine. He called Josh time after time, waiting for him to pick up but he never did.

Simon got to the hospital at four in the afternoon, parking slightly wonky as he was rushing. He grabbed a ticket and made his way inside - asking for directions to Mallie.

He saw Josh, Vikk and JJ all sitting, looking bored out of their minds in silence in the waiting room as he approached.

"Can you learn to answer your phone?" He spat out slightly to Josh, going a little crazy from the lack of communication.

"Sorry, it's been on silent. I thought you were with your parents until Wednesday?" Josh just turned around, not reacting to the spite that came across in Simon's words.

"Is she okay? Where is she? I came back because I was worried and I couldn't get a hold of anyone." Simon looked tired. Josh stood up and pulled him into a hug.

"She's fine. They scanned her spine because she felt a little numb but they said it was just the impact but they want to keep her another hour. But she went off for a head scan about an hour ago and we've been waiting here since. But she seemed bubbly, a little wavy but fine." Josh updated him. He pulled away
and Simon was half relieved. He still wanted to see her.