> part twenty <

"It's the only place I'm going Mallie, you can't stop me." Josh kept his eyes straight, focusing all of his concentration on the road - trying to avoid the temptation to dump George's passed out body out his back seat and into a ditch.

"He can't go back; they'll send him away." Mallie begged. Josh was confused to why she was trying to stop him going to the police so badly. He was going to take him to the hospital but he knew the people at the police would deal with his anger better.

"If that's what he needs, that's what he'll get." Josh spat his words out. Mallie sat quietly crying in the front seat, traumatised from tonights events. She looked at the holes in her tights where the knees were and brushed down her dress. She'd wanted to enjoy a nice date with Simon but now that was completely off her mind.

Josh pulled up outside and quickly called someone on duty over. He explained the situation, had some questions to answer - getting Mallie to help before they were told they could leave - knowing how distressed Mallie was.

"Please take me home." Mallie asked Josh as he pulled in the wrong direction to her apartment. Josh shook his head, not even looking at her.

"No way, Mallie. You need to see Simon." Josh was assertive, fatherly.

"I won't know what to say." Mallie muttered.

"You will if JJ has found him. He must be going fucking crazy. Some cunt just tried to kill him." Josh slammed his hands on the steering wheel and jolted the brakes a little, his anger proving too much for him.

"Where is he?" Mallie asked quietly. Josh pulled over, needing to calm down and Mallie understood. He pulled out his phone to a text from JJ.

Jide - Simon with me at home, found him at the side of the road against a wall, very very distressed, he needs you, r u ok??

He composed a quick reply.

Josh - omw now, got mallie n george is at police station, make sure he has water and he's comfortable

"He's at the house." Josh looked at Mallie whose face was blotchy, shaking and biting heavily into her lip. Josh sighed, leaning over the steering wheel and pulling her head into his neck. She cried, squeezing the back of Josh's shirt as he let her emotions run.

"I'm so scared, Josh." Mallie had always felt safer when Josh had his big arms around her. She managed to control her breathing.

"Just calm down - I think you can help yourself and Simon if you get through this with him." Josh pulled away, getting back into his seat and driving back to the house.

• • •

"They must be in living room." Josh lead Mallie through the house. She took his hand, feeling the most uncertain she had ever felt walking through their house she had ever done before. Something about Josh right now, brought her comfort.

He pulled her so his arm was around her
shoulder as they walked into the living room where Simon sat in the corner of the sofa, a blanket over him with Josh and Vikk beside him.

"Mallie," Simon croaked out, his voice fading away as if he had lost his voice. She walked over to him and he stood up, pulling her straight into a tight hug. Simon cried, letting all his emotions out at once. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, it doesn't matter about me. What about you?" Mallie asked, sitting where JJ had moved so she could sit back down with him. Josh and JJ stood over them, listening and caring for their friend as they were overly worried.