> part eleven <

"So yeah, I made myself look like a right dickhead." Simon finished telling the group of boys assembled in and around Josh's room about what had happened between him and Mallie. Tobi and Ethan had come over and Vikk and JJ had stopped whatever they were doing to talk with Josh and Simon. Josh was sat at his desk with his headphones around his neck. Simon, Tobi, Ethan and JJ were squished onto Josh's bed and Vikk stood in the doorway.

"Well to be honest, I thought we only made the pact so Freezy wouldn't jump on her." JJ laughed out, thinking of the pub. JJ wasn't really bothered by the pact. All of the boys just nodded and agreed that there was no reason why Simon should be afraid to like Mallie - except Josh. Josh was hesitant.

"It seems like there's something dangerous and explosive about getting with someone you used to hate. Like, what if it doesn't work out?" Josh suggested.

"I'm not asking you guys if it's alright that I date her, like I don't even know if I like the girl man. Could've just been a weird moment, you get me?" Simon scratched the back of his neck. He understated what he saw in her. He saw a nice, kind, beautiful girl who was strong-willed and down to earth. He saw a good looking, well-dressed, appreciative of herself human being who was a delight to be around. He saw somebody who he'd like to be around, whether they were a friend or not. "I probably fucked it now anyway."

"Have you text her since?" Vikk asked, picking at a bit of paint on the doorframe. Simon shook his head. He explained how she was stressed in the morning anyway and after what happened in the car, he didn't want to force it on her.

"I literally just want to punch the shit out of this George guy." JJ laughed.

• • •

Mallie sat silently in the passenger seat of George's car. There was no music, no sound - just the sound of George's heavy breathing and the occasional sniff from Mallie. Her head was hung low and her hands were folded in her lap. She was so freaked out she didn't want to ask any questions.

Mallie only looked up when the car stopped. George unbuckled his seat belt and looked at her, waiting for her to get out. Mallie did so and looked around. They were on the public side of the train tracks. She looked to the hole in the fence where she assumed they were going to the small hut where they used to hang out as kids.

George lead the way, only making sure she was still following. He let her through the hole first and then he pulled her quickly across the tracks and into the hut. Mallie walked in after George who yanked the stiff door open. There was a fair amount of new dust in there but it had always been dusty. It was still silent but Mallie observed all of their writings on the walls and the old battery powered CD player she left in there. She went over to fiddle with it.

"You've changed." George sat on one of the deckchair that they used as sofas. She could feel his eyes looking at her but she didn't turn around.

"I have?" Mallie replied, quietly. She didn't want to sound like she was challenging him.

"Yes," George scoffed a little. "Old Mallie would never have even considered talking to Simon."

Mallie rolled her eyes to herself and then turned to look George dead in the eyes.

"People change. You've changed, George. You hit me." Mallie felt sad saying it, pointing it out. George looked down briefly, breaking their eye contact clearly feeling guilty.