> part three <

Nick opened the door quietly as if he didn't want Simon to hear him. He looked behind him to see if he was there before welcoming her into his living room. His apartment was almost identical to hers except it was flipped.

"He's taking a shower quick, they help him calm down," He shut the door behind her and lead her to the kitchen where he signalled towards a stool for her to sit down. "Do you want a drink?"

"No, thanks. I have my water." Mallie spoke, quietly. She hadn't properly spoken to Nick. He would often laugh along when Simon made jokes about her if they crossed paths on the way home from school. "Is Simon okay?"

"He's just stressed out. The whole work thing and I'm guessing bringing up this whole scene again is just getting to him." Nick ran the tap a few seconds before pouring himself a glass of water. He turned and rested his back against the counter and looked at her. "He has changed, we both have."

Mallie just shrugged, fiddling with the lid of her bottle. She pulled the sleeves off her oversized Vans hoodie over her hands.

"Can you understand why I'm apprehensive?" She looked at him and he nodded.

"Hand on heart, he's a different guy. It changed him." Nick gave her a serious look and she felt annoyed.

"Changed him? It took emotionally and physically scarring me for him to change?" Mallie never got mad but she jumped off the stool and walked towards the door.

"Wait, wait, wait," Nick ran in front of the door and put his hands on her shoulders. He was smaller than Simon but was only just taller than Mallie. "Please stay. I think it will help you both if you just stay."

Mallie put her hands to her face, trying not to get upset. Nick's thumbs rubbed her shoulders. She hadn't noticed Simon walking from the bathroom towards the room next to it until she looked up. He was only wearing a towel around his waist and the two just looked at each other for a second.

"Oh, you're already here. I'll be two minutes."  Simon disappeared into a room and Mallie returned to where she was sitting and Nick walked back to the sink to occupy her.

"I'm sorry. I know that you must have gone through hell and I shouldn't even compare. But seriously, this will help." Nick assured for one last time and Mallie turned to smile. She took a sip of her cold water and enjoyed the feeling of it travelling down her throat.

Simon emerged from the bathroom wearing just a pair of black tracksuit bottoms and no top. He was vigorously rubbing his darkened blonde hair with a blue towel.

"Nick, have you got a jumper I can wear?" Simon walked into the kitchen area where Mallie was sat. Nick wandered off to grab one.

"You wanna sit here or on the sofa?" Simon asked, rather awkwardly. Mallie shrugged so Simon picked up the stool next to her with one hand and brought it to the other side of the counter and sat down. Mallie tried to avoid looking at his bare chest, not wanting to seem like she was romanticising him in any way. Nick walked in, throwing Simon a jumper before disappearing into the bedroom to leave them be. Part of Mallie wanted him to stay. "I'm sorry about me like, freaking out earlier."

"It's alright, everyone stresses out sometimes." Mallie reassured. He seemed nicer, but she was struggling to pull her defences down.

"Do you want me to just start talking? And then you can just scream at me if you need to?" Simon asked and Mallie just nodded and they both moved to face each other, listening.
"Okay, here goes,

Looking back on our relationship through school now, I regret with my whole heart every single thing I did to you. I regret every single name I called you, every time I pushed you, or pulled you hair. I hate myself thinking about the smaller things. But that day, that chemistry lesson. It makes my heart ache. I don't even know what came over my stupid teenage brain that caused me to pour that bottle onto you, Mallie. Honestly, as soon as I did it I wanted to grab another bottle and drink it. I didn't feel like I deserved to be on this Earth."