10: It's About Perspective

Turns out, there wasn't a building across the street from the True Blue Bank. There was just a big square of dirt where the building should have been. "Oh, well, that's disappointing." I said.

"Should we ask around in the bank?" Cas asked.

"We can, but not all of us." Sam said, "Four investigators are going to arouse suspicion."

"So which of us are going to go ask around?" Castiel asked.

"I want to." I said.

"I'll go with her." Dean said.

"Okay," Sam said, "Cas, let's go investigate the dirt pit." Cas nodded.

Dean opened the bank's door, "After you, milady." I glared at him.

As we walked in the True Blue Bank, the unmistakable scent of Lysol and fresh paper wafted into my nose. I wrinkled my nose, "Do all banks smell like this?" I whispered to Dean, who smiled and nodded.

"Welcome to the True Blue Bank of Lebanon." The teller said, "Withdrawal or Deposit?"

"Actually we're here to ask you a few questions, miss." Dean turned on his charm as he flashed his badge and elbowed me covertly.

"Oh, yes," I showed the teller my badge, "Have you seen a man with white blonde hair, broad shoulders, and bright blue eyes around here?"

"Samuel? He's not in trouble is he?" She looked confused.

"We don't know yet. When did you see him last?" Dean asked.

"Well, he came in and made a deposit about a week ago, but I saw him getting out of his car with his girlfriend as I opened up yesterday." She said.

"Girlfriend?" I asked, "What did she look like?"

"She had shoulder-blade length straight black hair and lime green eyes and she had really, really pale skin." She said and asked, "Why?"

"She went missing yesterday," Dean said.

"Oh my," the teller gasped, "You think Samuel was kidnapping her?"

"We can't rule anything out, miss." Dean said, "Can you tell me where they went?"

"I think they went in El Delicioso, the Mexican restaurant next to the dirt pit. I didn't see them come out," She said.

"Can you tell me how the dirt pit came to be?" I asked, "Has there ever been something there?"

"No, I don't think there's ever been something there." She said, "It's always been a plain dirt pit."

"Well, thank you for your time. I think we have all the info we need." I nodded at Dean.

Dean smiled, "Thank you, miss."

***

I must say, El Delicioso has great enchiladas. The waiter was flying to different tables picking up dishes and wiping down tables. I actually felt sorry for him.

Dean snapped his fingers in my face, "Hello? Earth to Keistelle?"

I slammed my hand down on the table, "Sweet Lord, Dean! What do you want?"

"Any ideas on how a building can be seen from the inside but not exist on the outside?" He asked.

"Perspective, Dean, it's all about perspective." I said, "You must have to enter the building from the inside to be able to see and be in it."

"How do you figure that?" Sam asked.

"Because- Because I've done it before."

"What do you mean, Kei?" Cas asked, seriously interested.

"Lucifer taught me how to do it. It's really just an illusion. The building simply doesn't exist from the front, you have to enter the building from a door that isn't on the front." I confessed.

Dean nodded and looked at Cas, "Do you know how to do this?"

"No, I do not," Cas said.

I shushed the boys and signaled for the waiter, "May I speak to the owner?"

He looked flustered, "Of course, ma'am, uh, right this way, miss."

"Kid, this isn't about you," I said, and he relaxed.

He took me through the kitchen door and up a flight of stairs. We stopped at a door marked: Mr. Bradbury.

The waiter opened the door, "This is Mr. Bradbury, the owner."

"Thanks, kid." I said as he scampered off down the stairs.

"Come in," Mr. Bradbury called from his desk.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Bradbury." I said, walking into the office. The place was poorly decorated, with plum purple walls and only a simple wood desk and aluminum filing cabinet.

"Please, call me Kyle." Kyle said.

"Okay, Kyle, can I ask you a question about your restaurant?" I asked.

He laughed, "Ask away!"

"Are there any exits in here, other than the front door?" I questioned.

"Do you mean exits to my office or-" He seemed confused.

I rolled my eyes, "No, exits to the restaurant."

"Yes, actually. There's a metal door across the hall that leads out of the restaurant. It's always been locked though." He said.

"Really? Where does it lead to?" I asked.

"I don't know, like I said, it's always been locked." He said again.

Suddenly, the door opened. I whipped around, surprised, "Cas?"

"I just wanted to check on you. Did you find what you were looking for?" Cas asked.

"Yes I did." I turned to Kyle, "Thanks, Mr. Bradbury."

"You're welcome, miss."

Cas and I walked out of Mr. Bradbury's office. "What did you find out, Kei?"

"There's a metal door that leads out of here, but it's locked." I said.

"Dean'll be able to pick it." Cas said.

"Someone say my name?" Dean called, now coming up the stairs with Sam.

"Yeah, I did," Cas said.

"There's a locked metal door down the hall that probably leads to where Gail is. Can you pick it?" I asked.

"Way ahead of you, Kei," Sam said, already picking the lock.

The door opened and we peered inside. "Um, isn't there supposed to be a building here?" Dean asked. All that was there was a steep drop into the dirt pit.

Cas smiled, "It's a test. A test of faith."

"A test?" Sam, Dean, and I asked harmoniously.

Cas glared at us, "Really guys?"

I snapped my fingers and a rock appeared on the floor, "Ah, I understand."

"Well I don't," Dean said, "Care to explain?"

I rolled my eyes, "Any normal person who somehow opened the door would be scared by the drop and leave." I picked up the rock on the floor and tossed it into the 'empty' space in front of the doorway. It levitated in front of the door.

"See?" Cas said.

Sam cautiously stepped where the rock fell, "Woah!" He jumped back.

"What?" Dean half-yelled, "Sam, what did you see?"

"I saw- I saw the building." Sam explained, "But I don't anymore. I think you can only see it if you step into the building."

Cas walked to the rock, "He's right. Come here guys." He rounded some invisible corner and disappeared.

"After you," Dean offered to me, and we all walked into the invisible building.

First third of the book--done. Thanks so much for reading!! If you enjoyed, please vote and comment!