Chapter 5- I'm Trying

Rey's POV
After a week of staying with my Aunt, I finally decide it's time to see my dad. If anything he needs to know the truth, no matter how harsh it is.

I let myself into the house, heading straight for his room. I stop in my tracks when I see him sitting in the living room, staring at one of Rose's toys.

"Dad?"

"Rey... What are you doing here? I thought you were staying with my sister?"

"I am. I just wanted to see how you're doing." He seems to zone out, staring at the toy once more. I walk over, gently removing it from his grasp.

He looks up at me and I can see the tears in his eyes. It scares me, he's never cried in front of any of us before.

"I know you miss mom, but right now she wouldn't want you throwing your life away. Rob really needs you..."

"You are better off without me."

"Are we? I'm ditching school to come see you. Rose never sleeps at night, and most importantly your son is in prison."

"What?!"

"I-I thought you knew..."

"What happened?"

"Conner was shot... A- and they think that Rob did it..." I finally break down, tears rolling down my cheeks.

I sit down next to my father and he wraps me in his arms for the first time since the day mom died.

"I'm so sorry Rey..."

"Stop apologizing and do something about it. Take action, be our father again. The only reason Rob is where he is now, is because he didn't think anyone cares."

"I should've been there for you guys the past six months, instead I've pushed you away. I'm sorry."

"It's okay, you're back now." I hug him even tighter, scared he's going to disappear.

"Did you say you were ditching school?" I pull away, putting my best innocent smile on my face.

"Yes..."

"Common." He gets up, grabbing his jacket and car keys.

"Where are we going?"

"I'm taking you to school." I beam. There's hope for this family yet. There's hope for Rob.

I wave goodbye to my dad, as I walk into the school building. I can't stop smiling, knowing things are going to get better.
************************************
I walk into my aunts apartment after school, and she stands there, almost like she's waiting.

"Hi..." She stays quiet, pointing to the TV in the other room. I walk over to it and see a picture of when my dad dropped me off.

"After six months of silence, today Oliver Queen was seen dropping his fourteen year old daughter Rey Queen at school. This is the first sighting of Mr. Queen since the death of his wife, as well as the news of his sons arrest-" I turn it off, not wanting to hear anymore.

"Why were you with him?"

"He's my dad."

"Rey, it's not good for you to be around him right now."

"Why not? You're not the boss of me!"

"Actually I am. I am your legal guardian."

"Since when?!"

"Since the day your brother got arrested." Anger floods my body. She can't keep me away from my own father!

"I hate you!" I scream at her before bolting to my room.