Chapter 14- Meeting

Beck's POV
I sit in the middle of Starling City park when my phone begins to ring.
"Hello?"
"Mr. Willis?"
"Mr. Queen, I was starting to think you forgot about me."
"Of course not. I've just been busy. I also wanted to give you some time to think over whether you wanted to go through with the meeting or not."
"I do."
"Okay then. Tomorrow at seven at the Queen Manor."
"Thank you Mr. Queen."
"Please, call me Oliver. You're family."
"Thanks... Oliver." I hang up, feeling extremely jumpy. In less then twenty four hours, I'm going to meet my biological father. I'm pretty sure that would make anyone nervous.
"Beck Willis?" I look up, catching the look of Mary Thompson.
"Mary, what are you doing in Starling? I thought you were with your mom in Gotham?"
"She's in town working with a patient. What brings you here?"
"My parents died, so I decided to track down my biological ones."
"How's that going?" She flashes a smile, sitting next to me on the bench.
"Apparently I'm too late to meet my mom. She died seven months ago..."
"Im so sorry..."
"She got married though, I found her husband and kids."
"And?"
"He's helping me meet my dad."
"That's amazing!"
"It's just nerve wrecking though. You've grown up without these people who are such a big part of your life. You don't know what to expect..."
"I totally get it. I remember when I first met my dad in high school. I was so nervous that I would be a let down. I'm glad I did meet him though... It changed my life, but it was for the better."
"Thanks Mary. I should get going." I stand to leave, and she grabs my hand.
"I miss you Beck."
"Mary, we both know how things ended last time."
"I know, it's just I've never met anyone quite like you Beck Willis..."
"Mary, we haven't talked since. I'm not going to risk it again. We've been best friends since we were little, why can't we just keep it that way?" She purses her lips, just like she used to when I would win an argument.
"I'll see you around Beck." With that she hurries away, the wind blowing her chestnut waves from her face.
We had dated our freshman year of college, but in the end it didn't work out. I changed schools the next year and haven't heard from her since. Mary and I had history, almost too much. If anything she was one person I could rely on to stay in my life. I guess that is until now.
"Do I know you?" A dark haired man stands in front of me. He seems familiar, but I can't seem to place it.
"I don't think so."
"Oh well, see you around kid." The man walks away, his trench coat flapping in the wind.
I continue to sit on the bench watching the people around me until my body begins to feel numb.