Chapter 4

After Sam had shown the woman out, Dean was waiting for him , arms crossed, with Bobby. "How much did it cost?"

At first Sam thought he was referring to the woman and chuckled. "The girl? I didn't pay."

"That's not funny, Sam. To bring me back. What did it cost? Was it just your soul or something worse?"

"You think I made a deal?"

"That's exactly what we think," Bobby answered gruffly.

"Well, I didn't."

"Don't lie to me!" Dean angrily exclaimed.

"I'm not lying!" said Sam equally loud.

"So what now, I'm off the hook and you're on, is that it? You're some demon's bitch-boy? I didn't want to be saved like this."

"Look, Dean, I wish I'd done it, alright?"

Dean's hands fisted around the collar of Sam's shirt. "There's no other way this could have gone done! Now tell me the truth!"

Sam broke away from him. " I tried everything. That's the truth. I tried opening the Devil's Gate. Hell, I tried to bargain, Dean, but no demon would deal, all right? You were rotting in Hell for months. For months, and I couldn't stop it. So I'm sorry it wasn't me, all right? Dean, I'm sorry."

Dean glared into his brother's eyes and saw the spark of truth in them. Slowly his anger died down, and so did his strength. "It's okay, Sammy, you don't have to apologize, I believe you."

"Well, I'm glad Sam's soul is intact, but it does raise a sticky question," Bobby pointed out.

"If Sam didn't pull me out, what did?"

Bobby huffed and got up. "At this point, I've got no ideas and I'm sure you two don't either. So get reading."

Hours later, the boys and Bobby were poring over books, reading every page carefully. Sam had gotten up a while ago to get beer and handed one to Bobby and Dean before sitting down himself.

Dean popped the lid off of his beer. "So what were you doing around here if you weren't digging me out of my grave?"

"Well, once I figured out I couldn't save you, I started hunting down Lilith, trying to get some payback."

"All by yourself," Bobby realized, accusingly. "Who do you think you are, your old man?"

Dean's eyes roamed around the room and landed on something. Frowning, he walked towards it.

"Uh, yeah, I'm sorry, Bobby. I should have called. I was pretty messed up."

Dean picked up the pink flowered bra and raised his eyebrows. "Yeah, I really feel your pain."

A faint blush came to Sam's cheeks as he continued, "Anyway, uh, I was checking these demons out of Tennessee, and out of nowhere they took a hard left, booked up here."

"When?" Dean questioned.

"Yesterday morning."

What? "That's when I busted out."

"You think these demons are here because of you?"

Dean turned to Bobby, anxiety and apprehension written in clear across his face. "Knowing them, probably."

"But why?" Sam persisted.

Dean shrugged and flopped down on the chair he was previously sitting in. "Well, I don't know – some badass demon drags me out and now this? It's gotta be connected somehow."