Chapter 19

At midnight exactly, Dean, Jimmy and Sam got out of the Impala. Jimmy had been antsy the whole ride, worried sick about his family. It got to the point where he could throw up.

Dean eyed the warehouse. "Alright, they're expecting you to come alone. That's exactly what you're gonna do. "

"We'll work our way through the catwalks," added Sam. "We'll be right behind you. "

"All you gotta do is stay calm and stall. Let us do our job. "

Jimmy looked at them incredulously. "You want me to stay calm? This is my family we're talking about. "

"Listen to me, this will work. You understand? Nobody's gonna get hurt. "

"Yeah, whatever. Give me a minute, okay?"

Jimmy walked away from Sam and Dean, towards the warehouse.

Sam looked at Dean. "There's no way they're expecting him to come alone, Dean. You know this is probably a trap."

"Yeah, I know. That's why I have a plan."

Jimmy stopped just in front of the warehouse door, anger boiling over as he could no longer restrain it. "Castiel, you son of a bitch!" he yelled. "You promised me my family would be okay! You promised you were gonna take care of them! I gave you everything you asked me to give. I gave you more! This is the thanks I get? This is what you do? This is your heaven? Help me, please!" His voice quieted near the end, a traditional move of a broken and hopeless man. "You promised, Cas. Just help me."

When no one answered, he sighed. "Typical."

Inhaling as he gazed at the warehouse door, he pulled it open and walked inside. There he saw what he feared most- his wife standing and his daughter, tied to a chair and unconscious.

"Hi, honey," his wife, Amelia, said, her eyes flickering black. "You're home."

"Listen, I'm – I'm begging you here. You do whatever you want with me, but my wife and daughter, they're just – they're not a part of this."

"Oh, they're a big part of this, Jimmy. And P.S. You should've come alone."

"I am alone."

"Oh, you're such a liar. Like I didn't think you'd bring Heckle and Jeckle, hmm?" Amelia turned her head towards three other demons, who held Sam and Dean prisoner as they walked in.

Jimmy stared at them. "No."

Sam turned towards Dean. "Nice plan, Dean."

"Yeah, well, nobody bats 1000," came the retort.

"Got the knife?" Amelia asked.

One of the demons held it up. "Got it here?"

"And you know what would be funny?" Amelia continued, eyeing Jimmy.

"You wearing a soccer mom?" Dean sneered.

"I was actually bummed to get this detail, picking up an empty vessel. Sort of like a milk run. Now look who landed in my lap."

"Yeah, well, you got us, okay? Let these people go."

"Oh, Sam. It's easy to act chivalrous when your Wonder Girl powers aren't working, huh? Now for the punch line. Everybody dies."

Amelia revealed a hidden gun and shot Jimmy in the stomach, making him cry out in pain.

"No!" Dean shouted, struggling harder against the demons' grip. He didn't want to watch Castiel's vessel slowly die of blood loss. That wasn't him. Jimmy didn't deserve it. Dean had promised to look out for him and he had failed.