Chapter 30

Hours later, they arrived at Pontiac, where officers were already gathering at a taped-off area. Reporters, ambulances, and police cars were surrounding the crime scene.

The Impala pulled up and parked behind a police car. Dean was the first to get out. He grabbed his badge and put it in the inner pocket of his suit blazer, followed by Sam.

An officer walked up to them. "Who are you?"

Dean and Sam held out their badges in sync. "Agent Mahogoff and my partner Agent Antilles. We're here to investigate the murder of Logan White."

"Whose jurisdiction you under?"

Sam handed him a card with a phone number on it. "Wherever our supervisor sends us."

A hand tapped the other officer in the shoulder. "I got this, Bryan. I've been expecting them."

He moved aside to reveal Sheriff Mills. "Howdy, boys."

"Sheriff Mills," Dean greeted. "How are you?"

"I'm great." Jody looked him in the eye. "I'm so sorry for your loss."

Dean pressed his lips together. Sam sensed that Dean wasn't going to answer and asked, "Did Bobby tell you?"

"Yeah, he did." Jody cocked her head in the direction of the crime scene. "Follow me."

They stepped under the yellow tape and Jody led them to a body wrapped in a white sheet on a stretcher. When she pulled back the sheet, both boys raised their eyebrows at the sight. It was covered in blood everywhere and had multiple stab wounds, but that wasn't what amazed them the most. It was the burnt, empty eye sockets.

Sam gazed at the body a while longer. "What happened?"

"Way I hear it, someone burned his eyes out."

"Were there any witnesses?"

"There was one." Jody flipped through her clipboard and pointed at a name. "Jennifer Holmes, Logan's next door neighbor."

"Do you know where she is right now?"

"She's over there." Jody pointed at a girl wrapped in a shock blanket. Dean's eyes fell on her and noted her dark black hair and her cobalt blue eyes. Suddenly he saw Castiel in his trenchcoat standing behind her and looking at him. His mouth was moving, but Dean couldn't make out the words. He was never a good lip reader. Then Castiel's voice came to him saying, I love you, Dean. I love-

"Dean?"

Dean snapped back to reality and saw Sam looking worried. "Are you okay?"

Dean sighed and rubbed his neck, a habit he subconsciously picked up from Castiel. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"You saw him again, didn't you? When you looked at the girl?"

Dean cast his eyes to the floor, not answering his question. Then he looked back up. "Let's just go talk to her."

Jennifer Holmes had accepted a small cup of water by the time Dean and Sam approached her. Dean spoke first. "Jennifer Holmes?"

Jennifer turned and looked at him. "That's me. Can I help you?"

"Yes, you can. We'd like to hear your account of what happened."

"I already went over this with the police. Why do I have to do it again?"

Sam looked at her sympathetically. "I know this isn't the best time, but it would be really helpful so we can stop things like this in the future."