Chapter 5

Dean rested on the bed, his chest rising and falling steadily to the rhythm of his breathing.

The silence was disturbed by the sound of the television and the radio whining. Dean shook himself awake, hand wrapped around the shotgun he always kept under his pillow. He searched for Sam, looking over to his bed, but it was empty. He released a breath, sighing.

His ears pricked up as they picked up on a noise, one that had become familiar to him over the course of his time back from hell. He clamped his hands over his ears as the high pitched whining started, grunting in pain, squeezing his eyes shut as if that would make it go away.

Something cracked as the noise grew higher and louder. Dean looked up and saw the ceiling mirror splintering, barely managing to avoid it as glass rained down on where he would have been. As the windows shattered, some shards slashed him across the face. Dean let out a terrified and agonized scream.

Dimly he heard Bobby yell his name, but he couldn't get up. He was afraid the noise would continue if he did. He curled into a fetal position, still clutching his ears.

Then Bobby was shaking him, the noise nowhere to be found. "Dean! Dean! It's over!"

He shakily took his hands from his ears and looked around at the mess of the room. "Is it gone?"

"Hell, yes." Bobby stood him upright and dusted off his jacket. "What happened in here anyway? Dean, what aren't you telling me?"

Dean didn't have an answer.

Later

Dean sat in the passenger seat of Bobby's car, wiping blood off of his face.

Bobby cast a worried eye over to him. "How you feeling, kid?"

"Aside from the church bells ringing in my head, peachy." Dean whipped out his phone and dialed Sam's number. "Sam?"

"Hey, Dean" came Sam's voice.

"What are you doing?"

"Couldn't sleep, went out to get a burger."

"In my car?"

"Force of habit, sorry. What are you doing up?"

"Well, uh, Bobby's back. We're going to get a beer." Dean flipped the middle finger when Bobby gave him a shocked look.

"All right, well, uh, spill some for me, huh?"

"Done. Catch you later." Dean ended the call and pocketed his phone, ignoring Bobby's accusatory look. "What?"

"Why the hell didn't you tell him?"

"Because he just tried to stop us."

"From what?"

"From summoning this thing," came the answer, earning him another look of disbelief. "It's time we face it head on."

"You can't be serious!"

"As a heart attack. It's high noon, Baby."

"Well, we don't know what it is. It could be a demon, it could be anything."

"That's why we've got to be ready for anything." Dean drew out the demon killing knife from Ruby, looking at it. "We've got the big time magic knife, we've got an arsenal  in the trunk...."

"This is a bad idea."

"Yeah, I couldn't agree more, but what other choice do we have?"

"We could choose life."

"Bobby, whatever this is, whatever it wants, it's after me. That much we know, right? I've got no place to hide. I can either get caught with my pants down again, or we can make our stand," reasoned Dean.