Chapter 10

Wind was whipping around his jacket and hair as Dean stood up and looked around the empty clearing. "Cas?!"

"Dean?!" He heard the faint reply and stumbled, falling before scrabbling up and running towards the voice. "Cas! Where the hell are you?"

"Dean!"

"Cas! Castiel!" He caught a glimpse of a tan trench coat spinning this way and that as the angel tried to look for him.

"Dean?!"

His vision suddenly seemed darker than what it was before. "Hey, angel." Dean growled.

Castiel turned around, a terrified look on his face. "Dean...your eyes..."

"What? Do you like them?" Dean unsheathed an angel blade and walked towards Castiel, who was trying to out as much distance between them as possible. That ended when he found himself backed against the tree. "Dean, please! This isn't you!"

"Now that's where you're wrong. This?" Dean gestured to his whole body. "This is all me."

"No...."

"What's the matter, Cas? Don't recognize me?"

Castiel took out his own angel blade. "Please, Dean. I don't want to have to hurt you."

"Well, that wouldn't be a problem." Dean relished the image of Castiel, cowering, trembling, nervous. He took another step, causing Castiel to press firmer against the tree. "What's wrong, Cas?"

He put his mouth close to Castiel's ear. "Are you afraid of the dark?"

"Please," he heard him whimper quietly. "Don't do this."

For a moment the black vision cleared. "Cas?"

Castiel let out a sigh of relief. "Dean-"

"Cas, please, you have to leave! I can't hold on much longer!"

"I'm not leaving you, Dean!"

"Cas, go!"

Just as Castiel turned to leave, Dean's eyes were black again and he grinned maniacally. "Too late."

Castiel pointed his angel blade at Dean. "I'll kill you."

"Would you really do that? Because we all know you'll kill Dean too."

Castiel's hand faltered and Dean took that opportunity to strike. The angel blade pierced Castiel's stomach, sending blood all over him.

Dean woke with a startled gasp, heart pounding in his chest, sweat on his forehead. His mind raced with the night's dream. "No. No, I'm never going to do that to him."

The flutter of wings echoed around the room before Castiel appeared, standing by his bedside. "Hello, Dean."

Dean stared at him, unable to comprehend its reality. "Cas, is that really you?"

"Yes....why are you asking?"

"What? Oh, nothing. Nothing." Dean laid back on his pillow. "Just a dream."

"what did you dream about?"

Dean eyed Castiel before realizing he was still standing. "Dude, are you going to stand there the whole night?"

"I don't exactly sleep."

"Whatever." Dean scooted over to the other side of the bed, patting the spot where he had just been. "Come here."

"I can't. It's-"

"No, I'm not asking like that. Your legs are gonna frigging give out if you stand there all damn night. Come on."

Shyly, Castiel sat down on the side of Dean's bed and moved his legs into the covers, warming immediately. "What did you dream about?"

"Look, man, I'm really not in the mood for this. Can I tell you in the morning?"

"Why?"

"I'm human, and there's stuff I gotta do."

"What stuff?"

"Eat, in this case, sleep. I just need, like four hours. You can talk to me in the morning."

"Okay, I'll just-" Castiel looked down and found that Dean was already sleeping. "Wait here then."

Dean looked so much younger when he slept, he thought. The lines of stress were smooth, his shoulders weren't as tense, and his breathing was much steadier. True, he did look more vulnerable, but, again, so does everyone who is asleep, right?

Without thinking, Castiel reached over and smoothed Dean's hair, earning a tired "Stop it, Sam."

He quickly retracted his hand and contented himself with watching Dean as he shifted in his sleep and turned over. Castiel didn't mind that he was moving, he just sat back and watched.

Dean's peaceful face suddenly tensed. He began turning his head from side to side. "No. No. Dad, stop."

Castiel got worried. He shook Dean's shoulder. "Dean?"

Dean's eyes were squeezed shut as he tossed and turned more. "Dad! No, stop, please! Sammy! Sam!"

Now Castiel was really alarmed. "Dean! Wake up!"

The next word that came out of Dean's mouth, however, surprised him. "Don't hurt him, please! Cas!"

Castiel heard enough. He took hold of Dean's shoulder and gave it a firm shake. Dean's eyes popped open and he sat up, breathing hard. "Son of a.....bitch," he got out between breaths. "Cas, are you still there?"

"I'm here, Dean."

Dean glanced beside him and saw that he was indeed there. Slowly he reached out a hand to touch the trench coat, to make sure he was real and wasn't dreaming. As his fingers brushed fabric, he sighed and laid back. "Sorry you had to see that, Cas."

"It doesn't matter. Go back to sleep."

"Cas-"

Dean flopped back onto the pillow as soon as Castiel touched two fingers to his head. The angel hesitated before pulling the covers over Dean's body and tucking them in. "Sleep well, Dean."