Chapter Eighteen

- Elizabeth's P.O.V. -

As I'm walking to the feeding chambers, I stop. I put a hand to my head and close my eyes.

'We can't change Mia yet. She's five. We need to let her live out her childhood and then change her when she's a teenage. I have to stop Alec before he changes her.'

I open my eyes and quickly turn around. I run back to my rooms. I throw open the door.

"Alec, you have to stop! You can't do this! We have to wait to..." I stop talking when I see Mia sleeping on Alec. Alec opens his eyes and looks at me. He gently picks Mia off him and tucks her in. He gets up and puts his arms around me.

"I didn't do it. She's too young and I can't take her childhood away from her. Also, I really didn't believe Aro when he said we could change her. You know the rules. No immortal children." Alec says.

"I think they are testing us. To see if we are still loyal and still follow the laws." I say shaking my head. I just can't believe they would test us like this. The masters are sometimes very cruel.

I sigh and sit on the bed next to Mia. I stroke her hair away from her face. Alec stands beside me.

"What made you choose her? Of every child or teenager you see on a daily base, why her?" Alec asks.

"I honestly do not know. I saw her all alone and she met my eyes when I was staring. I just knew. Call it destiny or fate or whatever the hell people call it. I just knew." I say looking up at me. "We need to go talk to Aro." Alec says and I nod. I lean over and kiss Mia on the forehead and get up from the bed.

"Let's go."

"Masters, we do not understand why you put us in the situation we are in now." Alec asks as we stand in front of Aro, Marcus, and Caius.

"Mia has a very special gift that I want for the guard. You see her gift makes her see family ties and she can force people to either hate or love each other. The way she does this is, she manipulates the ties in the way she wants and it's all in their mind." Aro explains.

"We did not make her a vampire yet." Alec says and I glance into Aro's eyes to find joy not anger.

"Well done! We do not want her so young. For one it breaks the law that we stand to protect and follow. And two she needs a childhood. So protect the girl with your lives. Do not let her die or get so injured that we have to turn her too soon." Aro continues to explain. "If that is all you are wondering about then we are done here." Aro says dismissing us.

- Later That Day -

"ELIZABETH AND ALEC REPORT TO THE THRONE ROOM IMMEDIATELY! I REPEAT ELIZABETH AND ALEC REPORT TO THE THRONE ROOM IMMEDIATELY!"

Someone yells over the intercoms. I look over at Alec as we quickly get up from laying on the couch. We quickly run to the throne room and enter.

"What is the problem, Masters?" Alec asks as we bow. After bowing we get into our guard spots. Alec between Aro and Caius and I on the other side on Caius.

"Edward Cullen has been caught trying to expose us during the celebration. Jane, Felix, and Demetri are bringing him in as we speak." Aro explains.

We stand there waiting for the arrival of Jane, Felix, and Demetri with Edward for ten minutes. The doors open and they walk in. I immediately smell blood. There's a human here. Jane and Felix walk in first, Edward comes in next holding Bella to him, Alice is right behind them, and Demetri comes in last.

"Jane, dear one, you've returned!" Aro says moving towards the group that just arrived. Renata follows closely behind him and Alec and I step forward.

"Yes, Master. I brought him back alive as you wish me to do." Jane says smiling up at him. She moves to her guard stop beside Marcus.

"Ah! And we have Alice and Bella. What a surprise!" Aro exclaims. Some of the guard are getting fidgety because there's a human that we most likely will not be snacking on today in the throne room.

"You see, Edward? What did I tell you? Aren't you glad that I didn't give you what you wanted yesterday?" Aro asks Edward who's back becomes very straight as he stiffens.

"Yes, Aro, I am." Edward answers and he tightens his grip on Bella. Everyone in the room can tell he is slowly becoming uncomfortable. Aro claps his hands together.

"Oh I love a happy ending! They are so rare. But I want the whole story. How did this happen? Alice?" He turns his stare to Alice. "Your brother seemed to think you infallible, but apparently there was some mistake."

Alice smiles at Aro. "I'm far from infallible. As you can see today, I cause problems as often as I cure them."

Aro laughs and claps his hands again. "You're too modest, Alice! I must admit I've never observed anything like your power, ever before." He smiles at her.

Aro's glaze starts to go between Alice and Bella and flashes his smile, showing all his fangs.

"I'm sorry. We have not been properly introduced. I just feel like I know both of you for your entire lives. Let me explain. Edward introduced us. You see, I share some of his power, only I am limited in a way he is not." Aro says in a jealous way.

"Aro has to have physical contact to hear your thoughts, but he hears more than I do. He hears every thought your mind has ever had." Edward explains in to Alice and Bella.

"Now, Bella. I heard that no one can read your mind. May I?" Aro says offering his hand for her to take. She looks at Edward and then puts her hand in Aro's. I start to move forward when Aro gets a weird look on his face. He releases Bella's hand.

"You are extraordinary! I do not hear a thought anywhere in your mind." Aro exclaims turning and smiling at me and his brothers.

"Jane, will you try your power." Aro tells her. Jane steps up and glares at Bella. Nothing happens. Usually people start falling down in pain by now. Jane looks away frustrated.

"You did your best, Jane. Do not get frustrated. Elizabeth, try your power." Aro says. I stay where I am and look into Bella's mind. I see nothing. Nothing at all. No memories. No nothing. I look to Aro and shake my head.

"Well, Bella. You really are extraordinary! No one survives Elizabeth's power without some sort of pain. Consider yourself lucky!" Aro smiles at her.

"Now! Down to business. Edward, is your answer still the same as yesterday?"

"Yes. I'd rather not join."

"Alice?"

"No, thank you."

"And you, Bella?" Edward hisses.

"What?!" Caius exclaims.

"Caius, surely you don't see the potential. I haven't seen a prospective power so promising since we found Elizabeth and Alec and Jane. Can you imagine the possibilities when she is one of us?" Aro says turning to Caius. I glance at Aro and then Bella. Caius looks away from Aro.

"No thank you." Bella says to Aro.

"Oh well. Such a waste."

"So it's join or die? Figures as much since we are in this room." Edward asks.

"Of course not. We are already convened here. We are waiting for someone else." Aro says smirking at Edward's stupidity.

"You may leave now, but know we will be watching you. Have a nice day! Enjoy the celebration!" Aro says in his cheery mood.

As Felix and Demetri are escorting Edward, Bella, and Alice out, I hear Mia yell. "Mommy!" I look at Aro and he nods his head. I quickly run past the group to my room. I find Mia crying in the middle of the bed.

"What's wrong, sweet child?" I ask as I cuddle her into my arms, wiping her tears away.

"I thought... you... left... me... and I... got... scared." Mia explains as she is sniffing.

"Oh sweet child. I will never leave you. You remember that. Your father nor I will ever leave you." I tell her and I give her a kiss on the forehead.

The picture is of Elizabeth.