Chapter Five

- Elizabeth's P.O.V. -

I look over at Alec and bite my lower lip.

"You promise not to laugh?"

I ask and he smirks at me.

"I promise I won't laugh at your reading choice."

He says and I push the at him. He grabs it and looks at the book and smirks. He doesn't laugh at all but just smirks down at the book.

"So? What do you think?"

I ask as he hands the book back to me.

"I think it's fine. If you have any questions about any of it, ask Aro. He knows all about that time period because that's when he was born and turned."

Alec says stopping at a door with a 'Don't Disturb' sign on it.

"Really that's cool! I'll make such to ask him about it."

I tell Alec as he knocks at the door. I hear a faint 'Enter' and Alec opens the door.

Inside the room is a giant wooden desk, two floor-to-ceiling bookcases on two walls, two chairs in front of the desk, and Marcus sitting behind the desk, looking at me. Two guards stand behind Marcus and two guards stand by the entrance.

"Thank you Alec for bringing Elizabeth here. Aro needs you in the throne room. Good day, Alec."

Marcus tells Alec. Alec looks down at me, gives me a tiny smirk, and walks out of the room with a bow.

"Please sit, Elizabeth. I just need to discuss a few things with you."

Marcus says gesturing at one of the chairs in front of him. I quickly walk over to the chair and sit down.

"So how are you doing? Do you like the castle so far?"

He asks and I clear my throat. I'm completely nervous. Why does Marcus want to talk to me? Did I do something wrong?

"I'm fine, thank you. I really like it here. I feel like the library is going to be my favorite room, besides my room, in the castle."

I say really fast and Marcus just looks at me with a blank face. I look at his desk because I don't want to look at him.

His desk is clean with papers stacked neatly in a corner but what do you expect from a really old vampire. He has empty glass by a book in front of him.

"That's good. Do you know what mates are?"

Marcus asks all of a sudden. I nod and he puts his elbows on the desk and leans forward.

"Do you know my gift?"

He asks and I shake my head.

"I can sense relationships and connections between people. Do you know who you're mate is? Have you felt a weird feeling around anyone or a pull towards them? Do you want to know who your mate is?"

As I think about it, I have felt something around Alec but I just thought that was normal. Do I really want to know who my mate is? Yes I do.

"I want to know who my mate is."

- Alec's P.O.V. -

I'm helping Aro and Caius plan the ball that we are throwing for Elizabeth's coming into the Volturi and Carlisle is finally leaving. After decades, he's finally leaving. I'm excited and happy for Elizabeth. She's taking everything pretty well for a Newborn.

I start to write down the supplies we need when the doors slam open. I quickly turn around and get into a crouching position. You never know when there's a threat.

"Why did you tell me I'm your mate?"

Elizabeth says storming into the throne room. I get up from my crouching position and meet her halfway.

She looks beautiful when she's angry. The fire in her dark red eyes and her white-blonde hair kinda frizzy. I'm going to enjoy this when she finally agrees that I'm her mate.

"Answer me, Alec."

She says in a tone that means don't-mess-with-me-right-now. I continue to stare at her.

"Alec."

She says between her fanged teeth. I snap out of it when her hand connects with the back of my head.

"Ow!"

I whine. She shakes her head.

"Don't be a baby
. Now tell me, why didn't you tell me that I'm your mate?"

She says and I put down the notepad and pencil on the table. I wrap my arms around her waist and pull her close. At first, she looks uncomfortable but then she just let it happen.

"I didn't tell you because you already have a bunch on your plate. Like being a vampire and also being a guard for the Volturi. So please forgive me."

I say in a low voice so only her ears could hear it. The other guards, Aro, and Cauis are watching us. I can feel their eyes on us.

"I'm sorry I overreacted. I'm still mad at you but not as much. I'm not ready to punch you in the face like I was."

She says giggling and she looks up at me.

"That's good."

I say kissing her forehead and release her from my hold.

"So what are you doing?"

She asks trying to look at the notebook on the table. I quickly grab it and put it behind my back.

"Nothing important. I was just writing something for Aro."

I say looking over her head at Aro and he just shrugs. Useless old man.

"Can you spend the rest of the day with me?"

She asks and I shrug. She turns around and looks at Aro.

"Master Aro, may Alec come spend the day with me?"

She asks and Aro meets my hopeful eyes.

"Yes my dear. But I need him back tonight."

Aro says walking over and taking the notepad from my hands. Elizabeth grabs my hand as she bows and drags me away. I quickly bow before we go out the doors.