Chapter Nineteen

It's been a year since Carlisle's children and Bella left Volterra. Mia has found a place in our home. Aro thinks of her as his granddaughter and Jane thinks of her as her niece and has taken into teaching her the way of life here and things like that. Alec and I are happy with the way things are going. Nothing can tear us apart, but we were not ready for what was going to happen next.

- Three Days Later -

I'm on guard duty today, which means I get to walk around the castle and make sure people don't wander in and our enemies don't try to attack. Lately, we have been ordered to double our guards on any duty because threats from the Romanians. Caius has been going off on everyone because of the threats. So, everyone is on edge, which iss starting to make people grumpy.

"Hey there! I guess we're partners for the day." Afton says walking outside and startling me out of my thoughts. Today is very dark because of the rainstorm that is moving in.

"Yeah, I guess we are." I say looking up at the sky. I have a feeling something is off. I have had this feeling since I left the room this morning.

We begin our watch as soon as we put our hoods up. Even if it's dark, the guards have wear hoods and keep all skin from showing. You never know when the sun will come out and you never want to be stuck in a shadow until dark. People start to wonder and worry.

Afton and I are almost finished with guard duty when the alarm goes off.

"What the hell?" Afton asks looking over at me and I shrug my shoulders in response as we run back to the throne room. We meet up with Jane as we travel where the front desk is. Gianna is dead behind the desk. Blood slapper on the wall where it had flung off the knife that cut through her throat. We quickly run into the throne room where everyone is.

Alec has a hard look on his face and I worry that I know what he is going to tell me. That someone took or killed Mia. Alec grabs my hand and looks into my eyes.

"Elizabeth, the Romanians have our daughter. They have Mia." He says in a furious voice that I haven't heard in a very long time. My worst fear has happened and I don't know how to feel. Do I feel angry that I wasn't there to protect her or sad that my little daughter is taken by the most ruthless vampire clan in the world?

I feel my eyes burn as nonexistent tears come to my eyes and Alec pulls me to him as I sob into his chest. "No. No. NO! Why her? I don't understand." I keep saying into Alec's chest as he continues to hold me.

I pull away and look at him. "We are getting her back." I say as I look over at Aro. Aro nods and starts calling orders to lower guards to get back into position and the higher guards to start tracking the Romanians. Aro comes over to us and puts a hand on my shoulder.

"Elizabeth, darling, go back to your room and rest while we track Mia," he says looking at me and I start to shake my head. "Please, just rest and we will find her, Elizabeth." Knowing that I would never win, I nod and start for my room. Jane pats my shoulder as I pass her.

I walk the halls to my room in a haze. I didn't see or hear anyone as I slowly walk. I get into the room and crawl into bed with Mia's stuffed cat, Princess. I bury myself in the blankets and close my eyes to try and block everything out. I stop moving completely.