Chapter Three

- Elizabeth's P.O.V. -

I picture being in front of the man and I close my eyes. Reopen them to look into the man's eyes while standing in front of him. The man growls and jumps on me. I snarl and push his fangs away from my face as we fall to the floor. My back collides with the ground and I quickly stand up in a crouch. The man growls at me and jumps at me again. I let him get close to me before I grab his throat and slam him into the ground. The ground crumbles under the pressure.

I tighten my hold on the man's throat when he starts to struggle. His eyes meet mine and my mind goes into his. I look through his memories a second time since meeting him. I found it, a very painful memory that I missed the first time. The memory shows a woman getting burned alive at the stake.

I push the memory into his brain. I pull out of his mind and he starts to scream as his eyes gloss over. His struggles stop and I grab his head and twist. His head comes off in my hands. I stand up and throw the man's head toward Aro. He smiles at me and claps as he stands up.

"Good job, my dear Elizabeth. You have a very powerful gift with those eyes of yours. You will become a very strong guard when your gift develops. You will begin to practice tomorrow with me and some other guards. Alec, show her to her room."

Aro says sitting back down on his throne. Alec walks down to stand next to me, bows to Aro, and beacons me to follow him. We walk out of the room together. I look at the stone floors.

I just killed a man. I know he killed mother but I've never killed anyone before. I didn't even think about it when I pulled his head off. I was just going with my new instincts. Will I have to do that a lot? And what was Aro even talking about with the guards? Is he like a King or something?

I shake my head trying to get ride of my thoughts. I feel Alec's eyes on me and I look up at him.

"Thinking about the man you killed?"

I nod. We quickly walk up the stairs. I notice this is where Alec's room is.

"Are we going to your room?"

I ask stepping onto the landing.

"No. Your room is right acrossed from mine."

He says stopping at, I think, his door. I never noticed this tiny hallway. I mean it's tiny. It only has two doors acrossed from each other and a huge window that takes up the whole wall. I see it's dark outside. I step around Alec and walk to the window. I look down at the town around the castle. Well I think it's a castle. I mean it's huge like a castle would be.

"That is Volterra. You're in Italy now."

Alec says stepping to stand next to me. I look over at him and he looks down at me. I stare into his eyes and notice that they are not fully red. They are a reddish-brown color. I quickly look away and look back out the window. The stars are shining and the moon is full and bright.

"The night is a very beautiful tonight."

He says still looking at me. I nod.

"I need to explain the rules of the Volturi since you're a guard now."

He says and I turn to face him. He walks to the same door he stopped at first and I follow him. He opens it and holds it for me. I walk into the room. The room is huge. It's probably three of the house that mother and I lived in at the village. The ceiling is high and there's two chandeliers hanging with burning candles in the holders. There's a bed on the north wall with a nightstand next to it. There's a huge wooden desk in front of the window with a comfy looking chair, which is on the east side. There are two doors on the west side. I stand in the middle of the room looking around. Alec walks in and closes the door.