Chapter Twenty-One

-Elizabeth's P.O.V. -

I hold my breath as we walk down the stairs to the basement. I don't know what to expect to see. I fear the worse as I walk slowly down the stairs behind Alec. A guard that I have never seen before is leading the way and as he turns the corner down the stairs to the floor, I hold my breath. Two guards are standing in front of an open door. We follow the guard into the room and the smell of blood hit me before I took a step over the threshold. Alec reaches back and takes hold of my hand.

The room is covered in blood and I can smell the musty smell of werewolf under the smell of blood. In the center of the room is Mia. She is tied to a chair with her head on her chest. She is covered in bite marks and scratches. I don't hear a heartbeat coming from her. I stop at the door and just stare. Who could do something to a child? Who could do something so evil?

I start to take a step and my legs give out. Alec catches me before I hit the floor. I start to scream and dry sob. Alec picks me up and carries me away from Mia and the room. We get back onto the ground floor when I feel another hand on my back.

"Elizabeth, we will find those nasty Romanians and you will personally be able to take your revenge on them," Jane whispers into my ear. I nod my head and then burrow back into Alec's chest.

"I want to go home," I whisper and Alec says something to the rest of the people that are around us before we start to move again.

- Back at Volterra -

I'm laying underneath the blankets on our bed trying to wrap my head around that my baby girl is no longer here and that I would never see her smile again.

"Elizabeth," Aro says in a stern voice. "Get up. You still have a duty to do. I understand you are sad but you need to get up." He starts to pull the blanket from over my head. I just let him take the blanket and I stare up at him. He takes my hand and he looks through my angry and sad thoughts as well as the scene of Mia's death.

"Oh, my dear. We will get the Romanians for this. Do not worry about that." He says kissing my forehead. "Now up you go," he grabs my hands and pulls me to sit up and then lets go of my hands. I stay sitting up and I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I open them and look into his eyes.

"I will kill both of those Romanians with my bare hands for what they did. I will be at my post in a minute."

I get out of bed and head to the bathroom.

- A Few Months Later -

I am at my post watching as multiple vampires go in and out of the throne room when Jane comes in with a woman following close behind.

"Sirs, I have Irina from the Denali clan wishing to speak to you," she says with a bow and walks to her post beside the door.

"What do you wish to talk about?" Aro asks. Irina fidgets nervously with her hands.

"I have come to see you because I believe the Cullens have made an immortal child. I have seen said child with my own eyes," Caius shifts in his throne and Aro puts his hand to his mouth.

"Are you sure it was the Cullens?" He asks. "Yes, pacifically Bella and Edward Cullen," Irina says looking around the room.

"We will look into this claim of an immortal child but if you are wrong. You will die. Do you understand?" Aro asks. "Yes, I understand," she says.

"Jane, escort Ms. Irina to her temporary chamber. Elizabeth, I need you to start training with the guards. We will have a fight on our hands dealing with the Cullens," Aro orders.

"Yes my lord." I bow and quickly walk out of the throne room to the training courtyard, where many of the new guards are getting used to their newfound strength. I step to the middle of the yard and snap a finger. The guards quickly line up to where I can see all their faces. I look each one in the eye before saying anything.

"Who's ready to train?"