Chapter One: A Sweet Burden

May's POV

"May... May.. MAY! MAYBELLE!"

I woke up to a shaking which I was first afraid to be an earthquake. Well, not that I have experienced one myself in my seventeen years of existence, but it came up decently strong. And when I knew it was just mom trying to make me do what I was supposed to do today, I decided an actual earthquake wouldn't really be that bad.

So I rolled over to the side, still thirsty for the embracing comfort of sleep.

"Gosh Mom, he can make it here on his own." I groaned with both eyes still closed. "It's not like he needs somebody to pick him up." I added, hoping that this little speech effort I made would make her think that I would rather pick my favorite yellow-striped pillow that fell than picking up that particular someone.

"But Deary, it's impolite on our side of the family." My mom said thoughtfully. "So please pick him up?" She pleaded, still shaking the life out of me.

"Why don't you pick him up instead?" I grunted, but knowing that it would be less troublesome for me to get up than suffering from her ruthless shaking, I just surrendered.

I opened my eyes and grunted "Fine..." I grudgingly pushed myself up and glared at the wall clock in front of me.

8:33 A.M

"Why would you let me pick him up when you've been dying to see him again?" Mom winked at me before closing the door behind her. I just rolled my eyes and let out an irritated sigh -my only form of exercise.

If it's not considered an exercise then it's the closest thing I can get to an exercise.

Well, it's really been a long time since I haven't seen him, seven years? More or less seven years I think. And 'dying to see him again?' Riiiiiggght.

I zombie-walked to my bedroom mirror and examined myself, my blue eyes were still half-asleep and my chestnut hair crooked itself upwards like mutated deer antlers.

Oh dear god.

Wait. Wait. Oh deer god.

After mentally barbecuing myself for the pun, I quickly grabbed a towel and went towards the bathroom.

After I was done doing my usual morning routine, trying to look sociably acceptable and whatnot, I headed out and bid farewell to my parents and grandfather. And since the airport's a few kilometers away from our house, I decided to take a taxi. It was more comfortable than taking the bus. The bus easily makes me feel claustrophobic with the morning rush hour.

Today is the school's 6th anniversary. So we do not have our classes today, instead it will be held tomorrow Saturday. Yes, it's weird.

I would have just eaten and slept all day today, which would be my normal no-class day routine, if it weren't for his arrival.

Tough luck for me as always.

When I arrived at the airport, I already saw his silhouette waiting near a small flower stand right by the entrance. He didn't seem to change since I last saw him, which is again probably almost a decade ago. But he sure did grow taller, and yet, his hair was still ever green, which I still find quite weird ever since. But aside that fact, those mischievous emerald eyes that I have ever admired, it is still so captivating.

After examining him which took me almost a minute or two, I approached him.

"May? Maybelle Maple? Is that really you?" He flipped and feigned amazement. "A big girl now huh?" He chuckled then flicked a bit of his hair out of his face - a habit he had since childhood.