Chapter Twenty Three: Value

Brianna's POV

"So Brianna-" Ursula Rosendale, the vice president of the school journalist committee, piped up.  Today, she had a purple ribbon tying her peach swirling locks at both sides of her head, yesterday I believed it was red.

She cut her statement off when she saw the pointed glare I shot at her.

We were walking down the hallway of the third floor of our class building. There were still a few students since it was still early in the morning.

"Sorry... Mistress." She started again after clearing her throat. "I now have the poll from the previous semester on who we will conduct the next interview with." She added as we continued walking hurriedly down the stairs.

"Good." I answered sternly. I was about to mention to her about having our club meeting earlier this morning so we wouldn't have to stay late here in school, when a crowd situated by the end of the corridor caught my attention.

When we were about to continue heading down the next set of stairs since we were on our way to our clubroom on the first floor to conduct the meeting, I heard someone from the crowd mentioned a name that reverberated a certain awful wave of familiarity and nostalgia over my entire body.

It was a name of a boy, a forbidden name that I'd buried in the still graveyard of my dead memories for months. I could have been hallucinating since I hadn't taken my breakfast yet. But the fact lies that after all these months of trying to forget him, it was pretty obvious that the hole I buried him in my memory was very shallow.

"So you're a senior student?" One girl asked. "Then your class might be in the next building." She giggled.

"You just transferred so it couldn't be help right? This is the junior's building." Another one followed. "It will be our pleasure to show you the way!"

I stood there frozen by the stairs.

"Mistress?" Ursula voiced out a concern. "Is there a problem?"

A lot of questions flooded my mind, a lot of emotions unraveled inside me and a lot of dead memories came back to life. I was utterly overwhelmed beyond comprehension. I unconsciously held my chest, for some unknown reasons, the pain I felt hurt twice as much as the pain of dreaming about us way back in LaRousse. My breathing suddenly became heavy and coarse as if something vacuumed the air out of me.

After all these months of trying to move on and forget about everything, I knew I wasn't just burying him under shallow grounds - I was also burying myself with him. No matter how much denying I do to myself every night, I still end up cherishing and crying to all those bittersweet memories.

I slowly looked up to Ursula. She was only a few centimeters taller than me. She had that saddened look. I don't know why she was looking at me with those eyes stricken with grief, I was nothing but mean to her and to everyone else in the committee. But still, she gave me those eyes that saw and realized how broken I was despite the mean façade I've been putting on.

"Mistress? Are you okay?" She asked again, with worry in her voice.

In her eyes I saw my own reflection, I understood why she suddenly gave me such a look - I saw my own eyes brimming with tears I haven't noticed.

Though nothing fell yet, my vision started to get blurry.

I heard their footsteps coming closer and I still stood there frozen, the world taking away all my sense of feeling, leaving me with only pain and misery.