Chapter Fifteen: The Imminent Duel

May's POV

"How come I'm the only one who doesn't get to have a boy childhood friend?" Dawn pouted. She flopped down beside me back to our circle of secret sharing. Secret sharing, which was coined by our dear Leaf here, is a monthly sort of ritual between us four since the start of our senior year.

I remembered back then my immeasurable amount of excitement every time we hold this activity, but now? I'm not really so sure about being excited. I'm overflowing with lots of highly confidential information right now that God knows it would be my definite death when it is revealed.

Definite. Death. Hell. Endless suffering.

Death here by the way, sounds way more comfortable than what it should really be. To think that this secret sharing was supposed to strengthen our friendship.

Anyway, tonight's Thursday and also the last day of exams and nothing would be even better spending the now stress-free days and the upcoming Christmas Party than doing the secret sharing.

Wonderful!

Or what I would prefer to say, The Used-To-Be-Exciting Secret Sharing. We're currently staying in Dawn's room, the usual venue for our secret sharing right from the beginning.

"You should have been there Dawn!" The red-head exclaimed like it was some big news, which it really was, rounding her eyes and exaggerating her expression. "Leaf was totally in a love triangle between Gary and Red!"

"Come on Misty, it wasn't anything like that." Leaf chuckled. "They're just a bunch of misguided boys who are into troublemaking."

Dawn grimaced. "You even got two Leaf! How is that even possible?!" She whined like some five-year old. Like she was the only toddler in the group without a Barbie.

Johanna Berlitz, Dawn's mother, suddenly came in with a bowl of freshly baked cookies. "You do have your own boy childhood friend, right sweetheart?" She winked and placed the bowl of cookies in the middle of our circle.

"You do?!" Came all of our three voices together.

"Enjoy your time girls!" Johanna said, winking as she turned on the heater before closing the door behind her.

"Ugh, mom." Dawn scowled beside me. "Well it's my turn now anyway." Dawn rolled her eyes. "Yes, I do also have a boy childhood friend." She grunted, looking down like it was some big disappointing fact about her life.

"Really!?" Leaf mumbled, stuffing her mouth with a cookie on the other side of the Dawn. She just finished sharing about her secret which is her childhood relationship with Gary and Red. Misty showed curiosity-filled eyes edging Dawn to continue. While I, on the other hand, picked and munched on a sweet smelling cookie.

With much reluctance, for whatever reason, Dawn gave a sigh and continued. "His name is Barry, he actually live just right next door." She finished monotonously.

"What?!" I dropped my jaw, of course without dropping the cookies inside. This isn't the usual Dawn Berlitz I know, the Dawn Berlitz I know would be proud to have a boy childhood friend. She kept on whining on me about it ever since. A shiver ran down my spine when I remembered how scarily accurate she predicted my past with Drew.

But why is she acting like this, like she's not proud at all

And before we were able to make some further comments, she raised her index finger at us before speaking. "He's currently studying at the university quite far from our university." When I was about to ask something about why she didn't seem to like him, Dawn cut me off again and raised her index finger at me this time. "Because I don't want to go to the same school as him. I just hate him."