Chapter Twenty: Drew's Train of Thoughts

Drew's POV

"Hey Drew?" A petite voice outside the door of my room broke the miserable trance I was immersed in. "Can I come in?" The voice, which I was already familiar with, asked.

Knowing that it was Maybelle, I quickly wiped some leftover tears on my face, scrambled on my bed as quick as I could and tried my best to compose myself.

I just don't want her to see me so vulnerable.

It's been two days since my grandfather died. His death had really struck me hard. My mom mentioned last night that we will hold my grandfather's burial tomorrow at our home city in LaRousse and instead of helping up with the packing downstairs, I just wasted my oh-so-precious-and-valuable time trying to calm myself down, again.

"Just come in." I replied, making sure that there were no traces of dried tears on my face.

I saw the knob turn slowly and the door slowly creaked open. I don't know why but it took a while before May's head popped out. And as soon as I saw her, I spontaneously smiled - she had a cookie in her mouth.

"Is that a cookie?" I asked as I got off of bed and stood up.

She tried to articulate a word but then the cookie almost fell from her lips. She shuddered from shock and sighed in relief that the cookie stayed in its place, and then she nodded. I was about to ask why couldn't she just hold the cookie but then what I saw next answered that question immediately - she was holding a plate of freshly baked cookies.

No wonder I could smell honey even from this distance.

"Why are you bringing food here?" I asked and went to her and took the plates for her comfort.

She swallowed one big bite before answering. "I wanted to cheer you up!" She answered with a big smile, her lips heavily decorated with cookie crumbles.

"I thought you were gonna tease me." I jested. "And you know I'm not a big fan of sweets." I amused. I placed the plates beside my alarm clock on my bedside table.

"I know." She answered knowingly before gobbling up what was left of the food in her hand. "But every time I get sad Mom gives me food. That always cheer me up."

"Hm?"

"I thought it would also cheer you up." She smiled. "Because how would you cheer me up if you're not cheered up?"

"That barely made any sense May." I chuckled.

"No, it does make a lot of sense!" She argued and went ahead and grabbed another cookie. "And who wouldn't be happy to eat cookies?" She said a matter-of-factly, adorning her lips even more with cookie crumbles.

"Come here for a sec." I inched closer, ignoring her previous claim. "You really are such a messy eater." I wiped the area around her mouth with my hands, wiping away those crumbles. "You're supposed to be ten, not five."

I expected her to give a smart retort about what I just said but she only chuckled.

"Here have a bite." She took her face free from my grasp and offered.

"I told you I don't like sweets." I answered.

"Awe." She pouted and looked down. "Then how am I supposed to cheer you up then?"