Chapter Seven: Love and Hate

May's POV

I sighed.

I have always been asking myself. 'What kind of mess did you get yourself into this time Maybelle Maple?' And every damn time I would just realize that my life is one enormous mess to start with.

So there is no use trying to squirm my way out of these little crevices within the big mess of my life when at the end of the tunnel is just more and more tunnel.

Whatever I do, no matter how hard I try, I will always end up being in trouble whether I like it or not.

And surely my misfortune would be of someone's grand entertainment somehow. I mean where on Earth could someone find another human individual that has befallen to the same ridiculous path as I have? It's surprising that I haven't totally gotten cray-cray over the things that have happened.

"You really fell for that?" He gave himself another mouthful of laughter. Despite it was slowly starting to get on my nerves, I was also starting to get worried because it might give him a stroke.

"Well, I do love my Grandpa so I became very scared." I answered honestly, remembering how I pathetically fell into Grandpa's trap like some helpless lab rat. "Yeah, I guess you could say he completely tricked me."

Well-freaking-played Grandpa. Well-freaking-played.

"I'm sorry for laughing Mrs. Hayden." He took a handkerchief and wiped his tears. "Colonel Marco Maple sure does know how to play his cards still very well."

I shifted a little on my seat.

"I don't think your grandfather has mentioned to you before, but we're old time buddies together with Carlos Hayden." He smiled, placing his handkerchief back to his pocket.

I pondered. I do believe Mom mentioning the university's principal being closely acquainted with Grandpa sometime in the past.

"He called me the other week and invited me to your marriage. I believe you saw me?" He heaved himself another chuckle, but a little bit friendlier this time.

He was invited?! For real!?

How could Mom fail to notify me of such a very CRUCIALLY important guest?!

"Aw men." I groaned and felt my head. "Sorry Mr Wattson but I didn't know."

"I guess I can understand that." He smiled again. "You wouldn't notice anyone with the way you'd kept your head low all the time would you?"

An apologetic chuckle seeped from my lips.

"Let me just say sorry on your grandfather's behalf Mrs Maple." Mr Wattson surprisingly bowed in apology.

I was taken aback by his sudden actions. Weren't we just talking about how I'm gonna be expelled out of this university? And how miserable my life have become and how I was about to commit seppuku tonight?

"I..I, uhm i..it's o..o..okay Mr Wattson." I stammered. "I get that a lot from Grandpa." I gave myself another sheepish laugh.

"Indeed your grandfather has played a cruel fate on you, even though it's a little bit interesting though." He said thoughtfully. "You and Andrew must be really someone important to him."

"You know Andrew Hayden sir?" I asked, quite surprised.

"Of course!" He replied enthusiastically. "But enough of this. The real reason I called you here is to lighten up this load for you." He showed me another warm smile. "I thought you would be worried about breaking the rules by being married."

"What's that again Mr Wattson?" I looked up at him, somehow sensing that I avoided trouble this time. I sensed the blinding ray of hope shimmering behind Mr Wattson.