Chapter 2

I updated! Thank you for reading my story. It makes my day! Here's chapter two!

+++++

"An offer?" I asked. What was this? It was bad enough that I didn't make it into the school. Now I had to sit here all confused as well?

"We feel that you are too talented to let go. That sort of musical talent shouldn't be wasted. This is Ben and Robert." She said and pointed to the two men in the back. They smiled and said hi before she continued. "They work with musicians for different singers and bands. As you know, we videotaped your audition for two weeks ago and they are interested in your talent."

"Okay..." I said, not quite following her.

"We were wondering if you would like to be a keyboardist for a band. That includes one or maybe two tours, and a few concerts outside of that as well.." One of the men, I think it was Robert, said and smiled at me.

I was in chock. Wait. So I wasn't good enough to get in, but still, I was good enough to be a famous singer's keyboardist? What was all this about?

"You can play by chords, right?" One if the men asked. I almost laughed at that question.

"Of course I can."

"Great!" They all smiled sincerely at me. Robert and Ben stood up as walked to me. I didn't know what to do, so I stood up to, by instinct.

"I really hope you would accept this offer. We could need a talented girl like you, and a keyboardist for a big band recently ended, so we're in desperately and quick need of someone like you right now. Here's my card. Call me before tomorrow at 10 am with an answer, would ya?" Robert said and walked out. Ben shook my hand and went out after him.

I stood in chock. What exactly did they want me to do? Go with a singer's band on tour? Well, they wouldn't put me with a very famous singer, so it couldn't be a very big tour!

"Isabelle, we're sorry that we weren't able to give you a place in our school this term. But you can try again in a few years. Maybe after you've gained some experience!" One of the women in the jury who didn't let me in to the school said.

"Sure, I'll be back." I mumbled as I stared at the small card Robert gave me. I said a quick thank you and goodbye to the people in front of me and walked out again, still staring at the card.

Robert Johnson.

SYCO entertainment.

And a number. That's all. I went home, confused and in deep thought.

+++++

"But you're just a little girl!" My mum said. We were standing in the kitchen, me and my parents. I had thought about the offer for a long time, and I decided to take the opportunity. Piano like piano, no big deal how and where I'm playing it.

I had already made up my mind about it, but my parents were still a bit unsure.

"You have no idea about who these people are, Isabelle! It could be anybody! You will throw yourself out there without any second thought!" My dad said, and I sighed, something I had been doing quite a lot this conversation.

"Look, I'm nineteen years old, soon twenty. I decide this myself and I have already made up my mind. I will do this. What have I done in my life lately? I've been stuck in this city. When that happened, I should have left. It's time I do something! And I have nothing here. I won't come into the school until maybe next year, and I have no other job. If I have to stay here for the rest of the year doing nothing, I'm going to be depressed and think how it would've been if I came in at the school. I'm gonna get paid for playing piano for big audiences. It's my dream, only a bit different. I'll go, and you can't tell me no. You don't want to see me depressed like last year, do you?" I said, and crossed my arms over my chest. I knew that the depression-card was a bit too much, but I needed to do this and if I would have to make my parents remember that time last year to get there, I would.

My parents looked surprised and taken aback. I had never been fighting this hard or something like this. The offer confused me at first, but now I realised I had to take the chance. This could be a one in a life time-opportunity!

Suddenly, my dad nodded and smiled.

"Go. Call them."

I squealed and jumped up and down. I would go even if they said no. I made my own decisions but I still wanted my parents to support what I wanted to do. It would feel much better to do this if they got my back and trusted me in that I could do it. Dad said that as long as I live under their roof, they will have the last word. Maybe I should have moved to another apartment instead of back home to my parents months before.

I was supposed to call before tomorrow at 10 am. It had only been five hours since I saw them, but I ran to the phone anyway and dialled the number at the card. A woman who sounded stressed answered.

"SYCO entertainment, who am I talking to?"

"Oh... Um, my name is Isabelle Bower. Robert Johnson told me to call." I said to her, hoping I said right.

"Of course, I'll connect you to him." She said, and hanged up on me before I could thank her. 

The phone beeped in my ear as I waited for Robert to pick up. He soon did.

"SYCO entertainment, this is Robert Johnson" He said. Did everyone need to say the company name first? 

"Hi, this is Isabelle Bower." I said. When he kept silent I continued, so that no awkward silences would appear. "The girl who didn't came in to the London School of Music and Performances? The one you offered a job as a keyboardist?" I asked him. Had I been calling the wrong guy? Maybe I was mistaken. Maybe that wasn't what the offer was about, and I only imagined that. But when I told him about myself he exclaimed:

"Isabelle! Great, great! I'm so happy you're calling!" He said, and he did sound happy. "Have you made up your mind? Will you accept the offer?" He asked me happily, it seemed as if he really did want me to accept. 

"Yes, I'll accept it, if I get a little more information about what I'm supposed to do first."

"Thank you!" He shouted, sounding relieved. "I'm so happy now, I had to find someone great on playing the piano within a week. You have literally saved my life." He said. 

"I'm glad." I said, laughing.

"And of course, I bet you haven't got a clue about what you're supposed to be doing. See, a keyboardist for a famous band recently ended, maybe he didn't have the nerves or something but the band they are playing with are going on a tour now for a couple of months, and that's where we need you."

I nodded, then I realised he couldn't see me, but he kept talking anyway.

"Maybe you could come meet everyone in let see... Three weeks? And see what you'll be doing, and learn the songs and so on, so that you know what to do when the tour starts." 

Gosh, this sounded amazing! Touring with a band! Maybe it would be a bit hard, and everyone related to the tour would already know each other while I came in as "the new girl" but I could handle that!

"That sounds great!" I told him, smiling. He gave me the time and place to meet everyone and was about to hang up when I stopped him.

"Wait, Robert!"

"Yes?" 

"In how many cities will the tour be?"

He laughed at me.

"You mean countries?" He sounded like he talked to a little girl who couldn't understand.

"Countries?!" I almost shouted. I was going to travel outside the country? 

"Sweetheart, it's a world tour."  A world tour? I had never been outside the country before!

"Wait, who's the singer?" I asked him. It couldn't be just a random singer if it was a world tour. Robert hesitaded before he answered me.

"Let's see if you can find out. It'll be a surprise."