The Notebook

"Is everything alright, Chrissy?"

I jump up, startled. I didn't even here Matt walk in.  I was too busy staring at something that had fallen out of Maria's notebook.

"What's that? And whose notebook is that, Christina?"

I clear my throat. "I'll tell you when the others come, okay?"

"Yeah, okay."

A couple seconds later I hear a stampede of kids rushing through the door. Some flop onto beds, some stay standing.

I turn to address them.

"Everyone, this is a very important meeting. Me and Matt have been cut from the orphanage's budget and must leave within an hour."

The room is filled with gasps from the older kids, and sobs from the young ones. I take a deep breath and continue.

"As most of you know, me and Maria were close. We were like sisters. I guess she knew she was going to die. On her 19th birthday, she gave me this."

I hold up the old, tattered notebook I've been carrying around with me.

"This was her personal diary, but it was more than that. She was searching, guys. She was searching for answers. One entry says: I think I may have found something. These seizures aren't from my old illnesses. There is something more. I plan to find out what that is, even if it's the last thing I do."

I stop reading for a second. Everyone is in tears.

"Guys, she knew something was wrong. I am just another Maria waiting to happen. But before these seizures kill me, I will solve this mystery. I'll solve it for Maria. Now everyone, gather around. I have something to show you."

Everyone slowly gravitates towards me. I open the notebook to where Maria's entries end.

"This," I say, pointing to the diagrams, notes, and addresses, "is what I am going to do. I have been searching for anything I could find on Maria's sickness, doctors, and even her last name. Everything I have found points to this one town in upstate New York. And that is where I'm going. I also just found this key."

I hold up the rusted key that fell from Maria's notebook.

"Maria must've known it was useful somehow. I am going to try my hardest to figure this all out."

I step away from everyone. Tears begin to form in my eyes.

"I am going to miss you all so much. Mrs. Grawling is insistent that me and Maria have some common tie, and I believe that's true. She will stop at nothing to figure it out, but she will also stop at nothing to keep it from me. If you find overhear any information, don't say anything. She might kick you out, too."

I can't keep talking; it hurts too much. But there are still some things I need to say before I leave.

"I love you guys. If I ever find anything out, I will find a way to contact you."

Everyone surges around me, pressing me into one big group hug. A chorus of "we love you"s surround me.

I'm gonna miss them so much. Don't cry, Chrissy. Be strong.

A familiar hand taps me on the shoulder. Matt whispers, "5 minutes left, Chrissy."

I  pull away from the embrace of the only family I've ever known. I grab my things, Matt grabs his. We walk down the stairs. I feel the weight of what has become my life mission sitting heavy on my shoulders.

Find out what really killed Maria.

And what might kill me.

A/N: woah!.... pretty dramatic chapter! Chrissy clears up all the confusion about the note book. it was maria's! so now Chrissy and Matt are going to go on an adventure to finish Maria's quest. they will try to figure out the real causes of Maria's illnesses and seizures, as well as Chrissy's. will they find the answers? find the answers in the next chapters! ;) thanks for reading! comment and vote PLEASE!

love you guys! -marierosa13 **John 1:1-5**