Chapter 9: Choice of Words

-Jack-

What in the world did I tell Rapunzel?! 

I wasn't intending to do it, but I didn't want to make her upset. Guess that overpowered my thoughts a lot. I didn't want her to know my plans on her birthday on the tenth. And most of all, she chose not to run away because I told her not to. More like convinced, but overall it's the same. Mr. Pendleton knocked on my room and welcomed himself in.

"Surprisingly, the princess seems to be in high spirits."

"Really? Is that bad?"

He shook his head. "I'm amazed that she's smiling even though her birthday is nearing." He said and I sighed. "I guess she's maturing?" I said and he laughed. "Probably. But ever since you came, Jackson, her world was becoming more and more attached! I'm glad to have hired you." He said and I felt needed, like really needed!

But am I really ready...?

"That reminds me, Mr. Pendleton, can I go home on the 9th?"

"What for? You could ask permission from the princess yourself."

I don't really need to ask. I've already told her, it was our plan after all. "Hm, I did." I said. "Is that so? Well then, you can!" He looks so jolly and it made me happy too. "Thanks a lot!" I said and the grin on my face can't be removed. I kept it on until I crossed paths with Rapunzel again. "Jack, you look goofy!" She exclaimed and I laughed. "I know. It hurts a lot now, but I can't shake it off. I wish the 9th would pass now so that I could go home and hug Emily and mom again." I told her. 

"I wish for your happiness, but it seems like it'll be my sadness too."

"Oh yeah...I'm sorry."

I got too happy and wished the 9th would come quickly. I remembered her birthday was on the 10th. How inconsiderate of me! "No need for you to apologize Jack. Certainly you're just thinking of your sister." She said with a painful expression on her face. Like she doesn't feel completely happy. I brushed the hair out of her face and put it behind her ear. 

"Smile. I told you, I have a plan."

"Umm...alright?"

Crap. I think I may have gone too far. "I'm sorry! I do that to Emily when she's crying. This is too embarrassing now. I can't believe I just did that." I told her. She chuckled. "Jeez, you always so sorry it's annoying! I'm going to the garden. See you Jack." She said and left. "Wait!" I exclaimed and she paused. "I'm your bodyguard. I should be wherever you are and I should never leave you alone! Otherwise, what the hell am I doing here?" I told her. And she signaled me to come near her.

"Hurry then. I want to go to the garden."

"Yes princess!"

~~~~~~~

Rapunzel and I were just standing side by side, with no clue what to talk about. It became awkward since I did that earlier. Ugh, I'm stupid! "Jack," I jolted. "Princess?" I said. "I like this view. Don't you like it too?" She asked. I stared at the horizon. "It's plain. There are many trees, I suppose." I told her. "That's the beauty of it. There aren't many things to distract you with this view. It's breathtaking." She said and started to walk.

"Hey Rapunzel wait! Isn't the sun scorching hot? What are you doing, walking alone?"

I tried to catch up with her. She just kept moving away. Finally, I grabbed a hold of her arm. "Jeez, Rapunzel. You're tiring me." I told her. "Jack, please take me to the village now." She said with her voice a little bit hoarse. "Why so?" I asked. She looked at me with dazzling, clear eyes. It looked as if she was holding back her tears. I wanted to ask what was wrong, but I couldn't find the words to speak.

"You...what went through your mind?" I asked. She took time to answer though.

"My birthday. My birthday went through my mind." She said.

I let go of her arm. Not because I want to, but because I felt the need to. "The thought of it makes me shiver." She said in a low volume. Ah, of course. On her birthday, she is to pick a suitable husband to wed. "I have a plan you know? Trust me on this one!" I exclaimed. She smiled at me, but it was a painful one. "I trust you, I do." She said and went back into the palace without me.

The tenth is two days from now. It's Emma's birthday and also Rapunzel's. I want to make them both happy, the best I can! I know I shouldn't bother too much about it, but they're both so precious to me. 

It's all in my hands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WOW. FINALLY. HURRAH. REJOICE. F@*! SCHOOL