Chapter 16: Away He Went

~*~Rapunzel~*~

I scurried away from the ballroom, away from all the horrid madness. I can't even breathe in there. Carefully searching my surroundings, I head up to the terrace and took a break from the suffocating atmosphere inside. I need time away from that horrible King. I sat down on the staircase and removed my shoes by manner of kicking it away from me. 

"Jack." I whispered his name. How I wish he was here.

"Why do you call for me princess?" 

I turn around and see Jack standing with the moon shining over him. "Jack! What are you doing here?" I asked and he sat beside me. "You called, remember?" He said and I chuckled. "That's true... I thought you were still inside making diplomats believe you're a prince." I said and he smirked. "But what if I am?" He said and I locked my eyes onto his. He doesn't look like he was joking, but I'll go with the flow.

"Yeah right. The South Kingdom is just made up. I've studied maps to know that an isolated kingdom is make-believe. Even a three-year old could know!" I said.

"Your parents didn't. Are they a pair of  toddlers then?"

I smacked him and he laughed it out. "Rapunzel, this may be the last time we'll see each other. I'm heading back home, and I'm never returning here." He said and I kind of got concerned with the way he said it. Now this time, he really isn't joking. "Your village is just close. I can visit there anytime I want. What's with this drama?" I said, getting a little nervous with what he's gonna say next. 

"No, I'm going to my real home. I'm going to take back what I own." He was serious.

"So, was the thing about you saving me a lie?" I asked, getting a little teary-eyed.

He hushed me, and flicked my tears away from my eyes. "I'm saving you this way." He said and reached for his ankle. He untied his anklet and gave it to me. "Don't get it burned, frozen or lost. Because if you do, I might get burnt, frozen or lost as well. I entrust my life to you, princess." He said and I clutched the anklet in my hands. 

"How many times have I told you to call me Rapunzel?" I told him.

"Just about ten times? Or 5? You nag me so much I lost count!" He said and I kicked him.

I observe his anklet. It was so old, yet still beautiful. "You're going to come back for me, aren't you?" I asked and he nodded. "Why would I leave you behind?" He said and held my hand. It got me a little nervous, but as he pecked my hand I realized this wasn't so bad after all. "Hey Rapunzel, do me a favor one last time." He asked and I nodded. "Close your eyes and count to ten. Don't open them until you're done counting." He said and I did as he said.

I felt his hand let go of mine, and my face being brushed. Just as I was counting to five, he gave my forehead a peck and then left so swiftly. I opened my eyes and he was nowhere to be found. I open my other hand to reveal the anklet he gave me earlier. I thought it was a dream...

I went back to the ballroom, and most guests have left already. Some stayed for chitchat and catching up on the old times. "Rapunzel! There you are!" I turn back to see my father and mother very angry. "Yes..?" I mutter and they grabbed my hand. "Where were you? We were so worried you disappeared! Even the King was worried, but he had matters to attend to that's why he didn't have time to search for you." Mother said and I let my hand go. 

"Is it that Prince Nicholas? Really, you shouldn't get too close to that man. I feel he has something treacherous waiting for you!" Father said and I got tired of it.