Chapter 18: Wait For It

~*~Rapunzel~*~

I tossed and churn for a comfortable spot in the bed. I couldn't even sleep peacefully knowing Jack is somewhere out there, with no food, no water and no light. I'm scared for him, and he doesn't know how much I'm worrying for him. 

"Your Highness, it is time to be awake."

"I already am."

Martha came in to wake me up, but fortunately for her, I don't have to yawn and be shaken several times just to wake up. I rose from the bed, my eyes droopy and tired. I didn't get a wince of sleep at all and it makes me a little grumpy in the morning. "Why didn't you get a good night sleep, princess?" She asked, and I was too dumbfounded to answer that. I shook my head and went to the bathroom to compose myself. 

"Breakfast is waiting downstairs princess, eat if you'd like." Martha said and left the room.

Oh Jack, where are you?

I couldn't sleep because I kept thinking about you, and now you're off trying to get yourself killed somewhere! I just hope you were able to sleep peacefully, and not like I who kept turning just because I was worried. I washed my face, and pampered myself before I dress up in my robes. I went downstairs for breakfast and saw my father looking out the window. 

"Father, what are you looking at outside?" I asked him.

"Ah, Rapunzel! We have a visitor today and I'm checking if they have arrived." He said.

I sat on one of the chairs surrounding the dining table. I took a sip from my bowl of soup. "It's cold." I said and munched down on a slice of bread. My father sat down on the chair beside me with sad look in his eyes. "You better hurry up and get dressed." His eyes looked droopy, as if he wants to tell me something, but he can't. "What's going on?" I asked, and just as I did, the royal messenger came, telling us the visitor has arrived.

"Rapunzel dear, go to your room and get dressed." Father said.

"But-" I tried to reason but he looked at me with a faint smile. "Go now." He said and I didn't anymore look for a reason to lag behind. I went upstairs, to my bedroom and put on a readied dress on my bed. I went outside in a hurry, but my mother halted me in the nick of time. "Rapunzel-" She called out to me. "Mom, do you know what's happening? I hate that I'm the only one to not get a clue." I told her and she sighed. 

"The Mune King has come to...take you away." 

The moment she said that, I felt as if the world around me has crumbled down. My heart shattered to a million pieces and my eyes got teary. I slumped down on my knees and my mother approached me and gave me a tight hug. "We never wanted this to happen...I promise you." She said and out of nowhere, I shoved her away from me. 

"I just...I want to be alone for now." I said, going back to my room. 

As I lock the door, my mother knocked several times, pleading that I hear her out. Hear them out. I just want to run away right now. Nothing else matters in this world. My parents, since I was a baby, sold me to this treacherous man and did nothing to avoid that contract. All they cared about was the prosperity of the kingdom, they didn't find ways to solve it on their own. The only good thing that happened to me was...

Jack.

My head shot up, as if I thought of something amazing. And I actually did! "Rapunzel, come out please!" My mother then again pleaded. If I want to see Jack again, I have to put my trust in him. I have to go and meet him at Mune. I opened the door and looked my mother in the eye. Though my loathe hasn't moved an inch, I have to do this. "I'll go with him. I'll marry him in Mune." I said without breaking eye contact. My mother who showed a pain expression, hugged me but I didn't hug her back. 

"I want you to be happy. But with things as they are now, I can't do anything." She said. 

'Because you never tried.'  I want to say that, but I don't want to put much baggage onto her. My parents will realize how they stole away my happiness by selling me out to a man decades older than me. "I know. I have to go meet him now." I said, breaking the hug. I went downstairs and met with King Pitch. He looks slimy and dark. He looks like he has something up in his sleeve. 

"Pleased to meet you again, princess Rapunzel."

"So am I to you, King Pitch." 

Just wait for it Jack, I'll meet you there. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
yes, the title is a reference to aaron burr's song and i don't care if u say i'm late with the hamilton hype, cuz it's not all the time we discover a trend altogether right. i'm hamiltrash btw