Chapter 12: The Day

~*~Rapunzel~*~

"Rise and shine princess!"

I slowly opened my eyes to the day I forbid myself to welcome. The day of my 18th birthday. I rose from the bed feeling exhausted from my dreaded sleep. No, I couldn't even sleep at all after Jack made me open my eyes to the situation. Everything is my fault and I have to fix it.

"Thanm you Martha. I was never asleep anyway." I told her.

"But princess it's your birthday! You shouldn't be gloomy." She said.

I smiled at her but I didn't want to show this poor of a facade. It was too disgusting even for my part. Yesterday, Jack came to the castle and asked for forgiveness. The one who should be begging and pleading is me, not the common folk like him who only desured to rise from the injustice our family is giving. I want to show everyone that I am capable of leading as well.

I went out of my bedroom in robes and visited my parents in the royal garden where they usually have their tea and breakfast. At most times I join them for practices of proper poise and every princess stuff that is essential to my well-being. I wanted them to consult about ruling this kingdom, that I probably don't need to find a suitable husband, I just need to be independent.

"Good morning father, good morning mother."

"Rapunzel! It's unexpectedly unusual to see you up so early. We did not set up a date for you to join us." Mother said.

I chuckled and I sat on the empty chair near the table. "I couldn't sleep too much last night so I woke up a bit earlier than usual." I told them. "That reminds me! Happy birthday, sweetheart." Father greeted me and I bowed in return. "Happy birthday too sweetie." Mother said and she took a sip from her tea. "There's actually something I wanted to talk to you about." I told them feeling nervous. They both looked at each other and then looked at me. "What is it darling?" Father asked me and I took a deep breath.

"Later at the banquet, can I not choose a husband?"

They couldn't answer me and I thought I was pushing a taboo subject on them because their expressions looked like they hate talking about that 'husband' thing. Mother took my hand and clutched it on her warm hand as she looked me in the eye like she wants to tell me a dark secret. I was curious about it, but it made me more anxious.

"The truth is, your husband is already decided, dear. You will meet him later evening and you shall marry him within a forth night."

When she told me that nonsense of a destiny, I felt my world crumble and my hopes burn into ashes. I removed my hand quickly. "You told me I would choose a husband. Why do I already have one?" I asked without thinking it through. "Rapunzel, your fate has a history we dare not speak ever again. If there was a chance to take it all back we would for your sake, but it is a crucial moment." Father said.

"What history am I not knowing?! I am the princess of this kingdom, I should know my kingdom's history as well!" I exclaimed.

"Yes darling, we will tell you." Mother said.

I just sat there as the y start to tell me this history that I have no clue about. "Years ago, while your mother was still carrying you in her womb, this kingdom faced a terrible crisis. The village collapsed in a fire so all of the stocks died and only few survived. Since the neighboring kingdoms trade with us for stocks, we loaned from far away kingdoms and we couldn't pay all of it to the point we almost became a collapsing kingdom. Fortunately at that time, a kind king offered his help and services in exchange of one tiny trade. We agreed selfishly to save the kingdom. Little did we know, we were trading you for the rise of this kingdom." Father said and that left me shocked.

"That king told us that our first-born daughter should marry him in exchange for this kingdom to get back on its feet once again." Mother told me and I was just taken aback. "I can't just marry someone I barely know!" I exclaimed. "That is how the royal system works Rapunzel. Princesses are married to princes or kings they don't know anything about." Father said and that triggered something inside me. Something pretty awful.

"I won't do such a disgusting thing! I don't want to be married to someone I don't even know the name of! I'm different than any of you!" I said and stood up from the chair I was sitting on. I walked away as I hear they shout my name. I don't want to turn back. I couldn't.

"Princess, are you alright?" Martha asked.

"Just let me be alone for awhile." I said and stormed off to my room.

I can't stand by and watched my life go by like this. I don't deserve this! I don't want to be treated like an item waiting to be claimed and purchased! I am not that sort of girl and I will never be. All I have to do now is find a way around this mess. I have to fix this chaos.

------------------------------------------------------------

Rapunzel empowering herself!