Chapter 10: The Day Before

~*~Rapunzel~*~

There are things in life you can never avoid. In my case, birthdays are inevitable. Just like today, which is the day before my birthday.

"Princess, wake up! The morning is shining!"

Half asleep, I groaned and rose weakly. "It's still 7 AM Martha. I believe I don't have any duties on schedule today!" I said. "Yes, but you have to make a trip to the village and meet up with the charity house owner down there. I bet you know what date it is!" She said, dusting the curtains. "Um, am I supposed to know?" I said rubbing my eyes.

"It's the ninth your Highness! A day before your birthday!"

I widened my eyes unconsciously, knowing I'm forgetting something quite important. "Did you say it's the ninth?" I asked. "Yes, your highness...?" She said and I got out of bed. "Martha, before all those scheduled activities, um, have you seen Jack around?" I asked her. "Oh! Jack went to visit his family in the village. He said he has to greet his sister a happy birthday!" My jaw dropped. That's right! Jack's gonna throw a party today for Emily since he'll be here tomorrow for my birthday! Curse my incompetence in waking up early! 

"Ah! I'll get going then!"

"Princess Rapunzel! At least change into a nice dress?" Martha held me still.

I look down on my night gown. "Oh! Ha ha, then prepare a sunday dress or something comfy! I don't want attending a birthday party in a frilly gown." I told Martha. "But what about the charity house owner? She's been dying to meet you in personal! This will be their charity's first ever housewarming party! They'll be disheartened if you don't come." Is she trying to put some guilt on me?! "Fine, it'll just be quick!" I told her and she nodded.

---------------------

"Princess, I am very honored to welcome you to our housewarming party for our first charity house!" The charity house owner welcomed me.

"This is a nice lot you've bought. I'm sure the people you will help will receive a lot!" I said.

But this house is huge! I wonder what they will hold here, besides raising funds! "Excuse me, will you hold different kinds of charitable activities in here? It's humongous! I believe you have different events in the near future? What are they?" I politely asked. "We're working on that, for now it's just collecting funds." The owner said. Instead of my smile becoming brighter, it just faded. "Excuse me, what? You're working on it? Shouldn't you have come up with a plan before constructing this house?" I asked them.

"You built something to help the people, but nothing's on your bucket list yet. That's actually, --pardon-- stupid."

"But, we were planning to let people sleep in here for a week!" The owner argued.

"As the future ruler of this kingdom, I think it would have been nicer if houses were built here for the homeless rather than a charity house with no plans whatsoever except collecting funds. Excuse me, have fun with the party, you've made an effort. I'd like a report if you want to keep this lot. I have some urgent business to attend to." I said and made my exit. I may have seemed a little rude to the owner, but I hope he sees my point. Now, I'm off to the Overlands' home!

The minute I arrived there, it wasn't at all party-looking. Who am I to judge? maybe they're inside having fun. I'd like to join in! I slightly opened the door forgetting to knock and then peeked inside. I only saw shadows around the candle lit room. I didn't want to interrupt them to say I've arrived and just listened closely. 

"Emma, what do you want for your birthday?"

"Same as always Jack. I want the three of us to always be together!"

"Hm, that seems like a great wish, what else? Anything personal?"

"I want mom to be healed soon! And then she can eat with us again!"

"Ha ha Emma! That sounds like a great wish."

"Oh! I also want us to have a good house soon! Not this year, not next year, but soon!"

"We'll get there, Em! I've got a new job. I'll work hard too."

"There's nothing else I want. No toys, no bubble baths or anything! Just food on the dining table and my loved ones eating them with me!"

I felt tears welling up in my eyes. This is just painful! I sniffed softly so that they won't hear, but I heard footsteps from there coming my way. I began to wipe my tears away and let out a smile. The door creaked open, and Jack was at the door. "Oh princess! There you are! Sorry I couldn't tell you I'd be taking a leave." He said and let me in. "Ah, I miss this house! By the way, you don't need to apologize. I completely understand!" I went to the kitchen to see an Emma staring at me with jaw dropped.

"Princess Rapunzel!" She got off the chair, and hugged me tightly.

"Oh! It's great to see you! Happy birthday! I don't have a present for you though, sorry!" I said.

Emma laughed. "That's alright! I don't need gifts, they're gonna be useless someday soon anyway!" She exclaimed and I smiled. "She's matured up fast, huh! Not like her brother..." I joked. "Hey, I'm more mature when I was younger!" Jack argued. Just proves he isn't mature! "Where's your mother?" I asked Emma. "She went to buy something. I don't know what it was." Jack said. Suddenly, a loud knock came crashing to the door. It was a knock of urgency, that all of us in the house were looking at each other, who to answer it. 

"I'll answer the door." Jack said and quietly approached it.

The moment he opened it, a woman, probably of 50's was crying. She held Jack's hands and knelt down hurriedly. "Your mother...she's-she's!" She can't seem to continue her sentence. "Your mother got attacked by her sickness and she was sent to some nearby care center! I don't know if she's okay, but she's definitely not!" The woman said. Jack found himself sitting on the floor because of the horrible news. "Emma! Stay here with Rapunzel, I'm going out for a bit. Stay inside!" He said and dashed outside. 

"Lady, I have something to ask of you." I slouched near the crying woman.

"Oh! It's you...It's the princess!" She exclaimed.

I helped her get up. "Please stay here with this child. If anything happens to her, I will never forgive you." I told her and turned to Emma. "Emma, I'll follow Jack. This woman will stay with you. Don't answer the door. Give her food to eat." I told Em. "But, what if you won't come back? What if Jack doesn't too?" She said, sniffing. I softly caressed her face. "I am setting upon a royal decree, that Jack Overland and I will come back safely." I told her and left. 

Today is supposed to be a happy day! Why is it that wherever I go, there is only bound to be tragedy and sadness? I have to fix this, and I will!

_______________________________________

I'm very sorry that I seldomly update (not really seldomly, just rarely...) but yeah, vacation is starting so expect a lot from me!