Chapter 21: Choices

-Jack-

It was dark and cold and empty.

The room was filled with nothingness and I couldn't hear anything except the droplets of water falling onto the ground from the holes on the roof. Some were dripping onto me, into my eyes and mouth. There was nothing that could give me hope.

Then I heard a voice.

"Jack, be brave." It was a man's voice. I didn't know who it was, but it gave me comfort and light. My eyes opened, then I found myself lying down on my bed, the room filled with white noise and metal clanging. "Oh Jack, you're awake!" A woman hugged me and smacked my cheek. It was Toothiana. "What's happening?" I asked her and suddenly, Manny came up to me seemingly carrying an incredibly huge news. What's worse is that I don't even know if it's good or bad. 

"Come quickly Jack, I need to tell you something." Manny said. 

I rose out of bed, following Manny into an enclosed room, soundproofed by thick walls of steel. "What's going on, what do you need to tell me?" I opened the conversation as Manny sighed, sitting down on a stool. "We've heard news that a princess is in Pitch's castle. Fellow rebels inside the castle saw her dragged into the dungeon by Pitch's guardsmen." He said and I felt my stomach churn, as if it's being twisted by some sort of torture machine. 

It's Rapunzel. I thought. 

"We have to save her." I said, staring at the ground, trying to keep calm because I'm scared of what I might do if I couldn't. "We do, Jack. Although think of what might happen if we go there head first without thinking. That princess may not survive the night." Manny said and I clenched my fists. I slammed onto the table and left the room without a word. 

"Jack," Toothiana called out to me but I didn't flinch. I continued walking out into the alleys. Toothiana followed and tried to console me but I backed away. "She's really important to you, I can tell." She said and I didn't move or anything. "I left her without a goodbye." I said to Toothiana. But I was actually saying it to myself. She walked towards me, patting my back. "We, the rebellion, we fight for a cause Jack. Most of us in here lost a family because of Pitch's reign. We could not breathe, sleep and eat for years. He sometimes held a live execution and make us watch without mercy. It's total darkness in this kingdom." She said, with her voice becoming hoarse. 

"Why did you never leave?" I asked her. 

"Because we couldn't. If we did, then the people left here would suffer as much as we did." 

I sighed, and patted Toothiana's hair and leaned her head on my shoulder. She cried all night, and I watched her silently. Everyone in this kingdom really have their own troubles. I Didn't realize just how much selfish I am, trying to put everyone's lives in danger just because I want to save someone whom I love so much. I want to save everyone.

Although I know what it would cost. 

"You two, what are you doing outside? It's dangerous!" Manny called out to us, and Toothiana wiped away the tears from her eyes. Just before we went inside, I held her hand and stopped her for a second. "Toothiana, who did you lose?" I asked her and she looked at me with eyes filled with revenge. "Leandra..my sister." She said then turned her back behind me and followed Manny inside the headquarters. I stared at the pitch black sky, thinking about the people in my life-- Emma, Mother, and Rapunzel. I have to do whatever it takes. 

I went back inside and saw a meeting happening. Everyone was shouting their opinions and everything was messy. "Who will take the throne if we impeach Pitch? Who will?" Someone shouted from the corner of the room. "Settle down, we have to think this through." Manny said, also agitated. Toothiana and I made contact with each other wherein I glanced away quickly. 

"I know someone who can take over the throne." She shouted and everyone was silenced. 

She looked at me, so did Manny, and so did everyone else. "It can only be you Jack." Manny said and I felt everyone's pressure well up inside me. "No, I...I have to go." I said and ran away. 

I'm scared, I'm too scared.