Chapter 19: Rogue Rebels

-Jack-

It's actually great to see another being who's as kind as Rapunzel. His name is Flynn Rider and he has awful sense of clothing. Not that I'm good at it, but anybody could differentiate good from bad. He let me sleep in his house and now, I'm fine and dandy. 

"Hey, I want to thank you for letting all my worries loose. I think I needed that." He said and gave me sandwiches packed inside a handkerchief. "No problem. You don't have to thank me for something so simple." I said and took the sandwiches. "You're a good guy, you know? Good luck with your mission to save the girl you like." He said and I nodded. I'm accepting that truth, that I think I like Rapunzel or something. 

I packed up and was ready to go. "Before you go, I'm giving you a map of the kingdom. You have to go in without being seen." He said. "But being seen is what I need." I said and he shook his head. "If you're seen there and identified as a rogue, you'll be killed in an instant. You need to find your allies first. The last time I've been there, a rebel alliance was forming. I don't know if they're still alive though." He said and handed me a map of the Mune Kingdom. 

"Thanks Flynn. You're a good guy too." I told him and gave him a gentle hug.

"I've never been told that so, thanks." He said, slightly blushing. 

"Hey, thinking about it, I realized I never knew your name. Despite letting you in my house." He said. "The name's Jack." I smiled. "Is that so?" He said and I just shrugged it off. "Thanks, stranger. I'll see you when I see you." I said and left his house. "Good luck Jack! Luck is on your side! I hope." He exclaimed and I chuckled. That last word he said was a rip-off. I waved goodbye and he did too, while slowly shutting his door tight. 

Now, to Mune Kingdom!

Flynn's house is closer to the kingdom than I thought it was. It was just a walk of a couple of minutes after I've arrived shortly at the kingdom's gates. Mune Kingdom was huge. It had dark clouds circling the entire kingdom, and I thought it was just bad weather. I examined the map Flynn gave, and it looks like there's a sewage tunnel in the forest that leads to an alley in the kingdom. I followed the map and ended up seeing the tunnel. 

Walking around this smelly tunnel, I began to remember a lot of things. My home, my mother, Emma, and Rapunzel. I tried to shake it off since I'm here to redeem my father and to save Rapunzel. But, I have to find these ally rebels first. The end of the tunnel led me to an alley and I saw how dark the Mune Kingdom is when I stepped out of the alley. 

"Goodness." 

Everyone wore collars that were symbolizing slavery. They look like they don't know what they're doing. As I was struck by what the citizens of this kingdom looked like, someone pointed something at my back. "If you move, you're dead. Follow me." That someone said. I had no choice, I didn't want to die so early. Not until I've completed my mission. I followed him or her and we walked into a manhole. Another sewage tunnel I guess. 

The person who threatened to kill my life lighted a torch and led the way through the tunnels. I followed like a dog, since my life's in danger. I bowed down, trying not to look ahead because everything was so blurry to me. I don't feel too good about this. The person I'm with raised my chin up and I saw a whole new world. 

There are people down in these sewage tunnels. They don't even have collars.

"Where am I?" I asked. 

"This is utopia, sweetie." The person removed the hood hiding his or her face. Turned out, it's a she. 

She led me to the inner parts of this so-called utopia. "My name is Toothiana. This place is where all the collarless people have gathered. Away from the system." She said and I had nothing to say. "Are you the rebel alliance?" I asked her and she coughed. "That's for our leader to say." She said and I nodded. She grabbed my wrist and led me to a chamber covered with white cloth. We went in and I saw a man who was paler than the moon above. 

"You've arrived, Jack." He said. 

"You know me?" I asked and he nodded.

He gave me a picture. It was a picture of him and another man supposedly taken fifteen years ago. "Your father and I were very close friends. Alfred would be very proud to see you here." He said and I was shocked. "You know my father?" I asked and once again, he nodded. "Let me do the introductions. I'm Manny. Your father and I founded this rebel alliance until he left to live with your mother." He said and I smiled. "That's nice to know." I said. 

He offered me snacks and I kindly took his offer. "Why are you all collarless by the way?" I asked him, taking a bite of bread. "We kind of strayed from the system. We opposed it. We're fugitives of sorts. Those collars suck the life out of anyone. Those walking up there are like living zombies." He said and I didn't know what to say. "We are the sector of the kingdom who believes in Alfred." He added and I looked at my reflection on the water he offered me. 

"I never knew my father completely. But I know he's good." I said, not noticing the tears forming in my eyes. 

"Why did you only appear now? We've been waiting." Manny asked me and I shrugged. "There's a princess who will be married to King Pitch and I don't want that to happen. I don't want her to be unhappy. On the process of it, that's where I knew my father was King Pitch's brother." I responded and he smiled as he patted me on the back. "Alfred's lucky to have a son like you." He said and clasped me in his hands. His grip is stronger than I thought. 

"We will help you in whatever ways we can. This is our help to the throne. We want Mune Kingdom to prosper again!" He exclaimed. 

"I...I don't know if I can take over the throne though." I muttered. 

He heard what I said and quickly let go of me. "What do you mean? Didn't you come back to impeach the King?" He said and I shook my head. "I came back to save Rapunzel and to avenge my father." I said. "Isn't that the same?" He said and I stuttered. "N..no. No I think not?" I said, scared by what Manny's reaction would be. 

"Good God. Who will save us then? Who will save the kingdom?" He said in grief.

"You can! You've been here longer than I have. You've worked with my father. Surely, you have something up your sleeve?" I said, hoping he could replace me in my duties. "I can't. This is not what Alfred would have wanted." He said, starting to cry. Toothiana went in and comforted Manny. "Jack, wouldn't you just take this up?" She asked. 

"I'm not my father. All I came here to do is to save the girl I like and to avenge my father!" I shouted. 

"If you want to avenge him, you wouldn't run away like this." Toothiana said. 

All of my life, I never knew what running away from duties meant. I never have big duties to uphold. But when I met Rapunzel, there was a whole new meaning to all of it. I feel like I understood her now. I feel like I realize now why she wanted to run away so much. 

But I'm not going to do that. Not now. Not when so many people need me. 

"Alright. I'll throw King Pitch out of his throne. But I won't take over it." I said and Manny and Toothiana nodded in agreement. "That's all we need." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i am famished.