Chapter 11: Written In My Heart

-Jack- 

I dashed through the streets like a lightning bolt. I feel as if I was flying, and it took me just seconds to reach the care center and see my mom hospitalized in a bed, fighting for her breath. I went to her aid and caressed her hand. My eyes were almost filled up with tears and my mind was almost ripped by confusion and hate that I almost cannot see her ever again.

"What happened to her?" I asked the authorities.

"She was suddenly attacked by seizure. We were also surprised." She said.

I bowed my head in grief. I sighed and raised my head up again. "You know what, you came too late! What if she didn't survive? Huh? Can you compensate for her life?!" I shouted, and I can't stop myself from spouting these words. "Jack! That's enough." I looked behind me, and there Rapunzel was, and I got my eyes wide open. The others bowed in honor for their highness as well, but I didn't.

"Where's Emma? You left Emma alone!?" 

"She's in safe hands, I guarantee you." 

She walked towards me, and checked on my mother. I slightly pushed her away. "Go back to Emma, she hates being alone with someone she doesn't know!" I said, holding my mother's hands. "Look here, Jack. I'm sorry your mother is suffering right now, but you have no right to talk to me like that." She said and got all serious. This is the problem with royalties! "I think I do. You royals have no idea what's happening in this village. Everything's going down here. But you sit in your fancy castles, sipping tea and wasting food!" I shouted and soon, everyone was looking at me.

"I'm sorry, okay? I never wanted things to be this way-" She cut herself off.

"Mom?" A familiar voice said behind Rapunzel. It was Emma, and the woman who I talked to a while ago before leaving the house. "Emma, what are you doing here?" I asked her. She walked towards our mom and hugged me. She cried and cried. I looked at Rapunzel, and she glanced at me with guilty eyes. I left Emma to sleep beside Mom's bed, and went to talk to Rapunzel.

"Rapunzel, I'm-" She cut me off.

"I'm going to the castle. You don't need to come tomorrow, I'll handle things by myself." 

She said and walked away. I didn't want to watch her go, and it's all my fault. I'm too dumb to realize everything. Suddenly, my mother coughed up and she opened her eyes slowly. I went to her and Emma woke up. "Oh my sweet children, you're alright." She said and Emma kissed her on the cheeks. "I'm sorry, Emma, I couldn't celebrate your birthday with you. I went to buy you a present, but I guess it's trampled up in the mud." She said with pitiful eyes. 

"I don't need the presents! I don't want them!" She exclaimed getting all teary-eyed.

"I heard another voice earlier. Was that the princess?" She asked me.

I sighed and nodded. "She went to visit me? Oh my! That's an honor!" My mom said, getting all excited. I got a little upset. I regret what I did to Rapunzel. I made her angry, and now she's gone. "Jackson, are you alright dear?" My mother said, obviously worrying about me and I got really annoyed with myself. "I'm-- I don't know. I don't know how I should feel." I told her. "You know, you should always follow your heart." She said and held my hand. "You'll feel better after you knew." I squeezed my chest and I widened my eyes.

"I'm sorry but I have to go." I said.

"To where?" Emma asked.

I smiled at both of them. "I will run after Rapunzel! I have to tell her I'm sorry." I said and my mother let go of my hands. "If that's what you want, go. Follow your heart my son." She said and I went out of the care center, tracing back my footsteps, I went back to the castle. I ran as fast as I could, stepping into every mud and puddle just to get there. Of course, the answer was already written in my heart. Why didn't I realize?

I got back, and I saw Rapunzel standing, somehow dripping wet. Martha handed her a towel and a cup of tea. Suddenly, she was all alone and I made my way in. "Rapunzel," I startled her and she looked back at me. I smiled but she didn't. Obviously, she was pained by what I said earlier, so now i'm going to apologize. "Rapunzel I-" She raised her hand to cut me off. She smiled.

"I'm going with the party tomorrow. You don't need to help me Jack." 

I was frozen. I couldn't move from my place. The words I should say are scattered, I can't seem to find them. "W-what do you mean?" I asked her. "I will be a responsible princess. It's time I stop running away from my duties and I should stop being a coward. I should face my destiny. That's why I don't need your help from now on. I'm also relieving you of your body guard duties. You're not my bodyguard anymore." She said and I got angry. I grabbed her hand and she dropped her cup on the floor. 

"You're not thinking this through, Rapunzel-"

"I am the princess, and you shall abide by my orders! Go now, please." It looked like she has pain in her eyes. I let go of her hand and I shrugged. "I am leaving. Thank you anyway." I said and marched my way to my chambers. If Rapunzel doesn't want my help, then I just have to find other ways.

-------------------------------------------
Many things happened this time omg huhuhu. So I was part of this cadet officer candidate course, and when the initiation ceremony came up, I became a MAJOR!!! That is a big achievement so yes, here it is, a new chapter.

P.S if you notice the title of the chapter, you'd probably watched too much barbie haha