Chapter 14: The Masked Man

~*~Rapunzel~*~

I looked at my reflection on the mirror while Martha was dressing me up for tonight. I wore this puffy lavender gown with gold embroideries. I wore long white gloves, and my hair was braided with flower pins to match my lovely gown. But I didn't look that lovely at all. Truth be told, I'm exhausted and I want this day to end faster.

"Rapunzel?" My father knocked on my door.

"What is it?" I asked with less enthusiasm. 

My parents are the last people I would want to see and talk to right now. After they lied to me, thinking I wouldn't find anything out. That's just not how you raise your kids. I opened the door for him but he didn't come inside. "I understand your anger, but this king is a kind man. We didn't want to sacrifice you, but we were selfish to not even notice he had a bad deal. I apologize sincerely." He said and I looked at him. "Of course, you just wanted this kingdom to prosper, and you had no idea what his agenda was." I said, calming myself down. Father hugged me and put on a sun necklace for me.

"Now, you look perfect." He said and I can't help but smile.

"It's beautiful. Thank you." I said and went back and looked at myself in the mirror. I look decent, like a royal should. "There you go, princess. You look wonderful! Happy birthday!" Martha exclaimed and I gave her a warm hug. "You should come and eat too at the banquet." I invited her but she declined. "I have to work and serve the guests tonight. But I know you'll pick a wonderful husband to dance with." She said and I laughed. Yeah, 'pick'. 

I joined my father downstairs to welcome guests. There were so many royal families I never knew of. The duchess and duke were also there. I bet they invited their son they're so much proud of. My mother gave me a soft pat on the back. "You look amazing today." She said while greeting the guests. "Is he coming? That king?" I asked her. "I don't see him yet." She said and went on with father. 

Everyone looks so dashing, that I couldn't help but look away. I don't want to search for someone in the room, but I found my eyes just doing the search for me. I couldn't see him here, Jack isn't here. Well, who am I kidding, it's not like he'll arrive anyway. We had an argument, and we left things untalked. I mean, I left things that way.

Time passed, and it was finally the banquet. Food were served and the guests were properly seated. The important guests haven't arrived yet. Those guests are the one who will be receiving roll call from Sir Pendleward. Suddenly, the door opened and a man in dark robes and holding a silver scepter came in. His hair pulled back and he had this scary dark aura. He handed his invitation to Sir Pendleward. 

"The King of Mune Kingdom, King Pitch!" Sir Pendleward shouted for everyone to hear.

I looked at my parents and they forced a smile to welcome the King. It was silent for a moment, especially when he was coming down the stairs. His scepter clacked alongside his shoes. It let off a scary sound that shook everyone in the room. My parents rushed over to welcome the King who helped our kingdom rise again. This is the man I'll be marrying?! I felt tons of regret and emotions. I don't want to marry this man. I don't want to!

"Our pleasure to welcome you here, your Majesty!" Father said bowing down. 

"It is our honor to present you our lovely daughter." Mother said, pulling me over to them.

I bowed down as well as a sign of courtesy. "I am called Rapunzel, your grace." I said, not looking at those pitch black eyes. "Well, isn't this wonderful." He said sarcastically, not even complimenting my looks. Could it be? He wants to break off the deal? "She looks like my bride. I am pleased with her." He said and moved on. "What was that?!" I quietly asked my parents. "Your...husband." Mother said and they sadly went to the others to entertain them.

This is so tiring.

I don't want to be married to that dark man. He looks very displeased, and it looks like I won't be able to escape the married life with him around. Yet, to everyone's surprise in the room, the grand doors flew open to reveal a masked man wearing a dark blue suit and white shoes stepped in. He looked so fancy, and magical as if the winter brought him. Everyone looked at him in awe, as if he was a prince of a distant land. He really looked like a prince. 

"Prince Nicholas of the...South Kingdom..?" Sir Pendleward looks agitated.

"Thanks a lot for that introduction." Prince Nicholas said.

He stepped down from the stairs as my parents come to greet him and so did I. They pulled me to meet this enchanting stranger. "Prince Nicholas, is it..? I have never heard of the South Kingdom!" Father exclaimed. "It's a new kingdom! Just south of here... And I heard there was a ball, so I wanted to make myself and my kingdom known!" He said, troubled. He looked at me and suddenly winked. Wait, he seems awfully familiar. This guy!

"Ja-!" He cut me off.

"You must be the princess! Why, you are beautiful in personal." He said.

Out of nowhere, the orchestra suddenly played slow music, and the guests cleared the way for the Queen and King's dance. "Why, it's time for the dance. May I have this honor to dance with you, lovely princess?" Jack said and offered his hand. I took it while blushing. He looks so dazzling, he looked like a Night's guard or something I've read in books. He took me to the dance floor and he danced with me. 

"Jack, what the hell are you doing disguised as a prince?" I asked him.

"First off, I'm sorry for being rude to you. I wanted to save you from your horrible fate." He said.

He twirled me and it was so enchanted. Everything seems like a fairytale, including this dance. "Thank you for that. I really wanted saving now." I told him and he looked around. "Who's the guy? The one you'll marry?" He asked and I looked around as well. I suddenly saw King Pitch, walking towards us with his scepter clicking on the floor. "He's walking towards us." I told him. "Don't worry, I'll come for you again." He said and the King grabbed Jack's shoulder.

"Pardon, mere Prince of South Kingdom, if I'm correct." King Pitch said.

"You're right, and are you perhaps a King?" Jack asked.

Wrong move Jack! "Yes, and are you mocking me? A prince acts with respect. Or maybe, you are not a prince at all." He exclaimed for everyone to hear. Jack couldn't move. "He is a prince. I believe so." I said, defending him. I looked at Jack, telling him he can defend himself. It's time he stopped freezing whenever he's cornered. I know he's gutsier than this. "I am Prince Nicholas of the South Kingdom!" He exclaimed and removed his mask. Most of the women squealed, but all I could do was smile.

"It can't be. Alfred?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'oops i did it again i forgot what i was losing my mind about'