Chapter 37

Kristine barely slept the night before not because she was rushing to finish her revisions but because of something else. A decision that could make or break her. She had really debated for a day what her next step would be. Yes, she had made that final decision. She decided to take the risk. To gamble everything, anyway she got nothing more to lose anymore. What more can she lose anyway that she didn't have.

Five years ago she had been so foolish enough to fall for the likes of Christian Davidson. Five years ago she had lost her heart and hadn't gotten it back since then. Five years ago, she had made a mistake but hadn't regretted it one single bit because it had brought Caleb. She was so foolish to think that happy endings could exist for them both. She was planning on, saving up for the day when she would be stable and brave enough to stood her ground and look for him. Follow him. Search for him in America. Make him see some sense. Make him change his ways. But that wasn't happening now. All her plans were crumbling down. It hadn't hit her then when she knew firsthand that he hadn't changed. But the fact that he could have a child with another woman. And his first love. She hadn't thought about that. Never had crossed her mind. In fact he could have a dozen child with a dozen girls out there, all of them thinking of happy endings with him. God.

"Kris are you extending again??" Iris said standing up and ready to go home.

Kris nodded nervously. She had been so preoccupied, looking at the closed CEO's door for every minute, making sure that Christian haven't had gone home yet.

"Yeah you can go ahead. I'll just finish some of my backlogs." She muttered.

When almost half of the people had gone home Kristine stood up. She went straight to Christian's secretary and asked politely. "Jane, I just need to submit my designs to Sir Christian. I'm going in." she said.

"Don't bother. Just hand it to me. I'll give it to him in the morning," Jane answered too civilly, looking at her reflection and fixing herself ready to go home too.

"No. I personally need to hand it to him," she said, clutching at her file a little too tightly. If Jane noticed, she didn't give a clue. She just shrugged her shoulders and Kristine immediately went in. She don't want to catch Christian when he's ready to go home.

She went in and she immediately saw him sitting at his mighty chair. His hands were at his temples.

Her heart immediately went out. Does he have a headache?? Probably not a good time.

She cleared her thoat.

"Sir, sorry for disturbing you at this hour. I have finished the revisions. If you'd mind checking it??," she said placing her file folder tentatively at his table and sitting down.

He looked at her tiredly and smiled. Her heart leaped. "Ms Roberts. I think your supervisor can recheck your works. I'll trust his judgement this time." He said. He checked his phone, clearly he was waiting for a phone call or a message.

Kristine hesitated to leave. She have to be sure he was the one to browse her file.

"Yes?? Was there anything else you need Ms Roberts???" he inquired. HE loosened his tie. Touched her file but made no move to open it. She had enough of this Ms Roberts scene.

"Actually I have." You, her mind screamed. "I was hoping you'd want to discuss some ... er designs over a cup of coffee, regarding the contract.." she mumbled incoherently. God. This was not so going well. Just browse the damn file will you, she wanted to shout.

"Contract??" he asked confused. "Ms Roberts I don't want to assume again but are you asking me out?? Over a cup of coffee perhaps to discuss something??"

If he had open the folder, they wouldn't be having this stupid conversation. He'll know what she was talking about. He open her file slowly. Shifted through the pages, staring intently at her before looking down at the pages, over that piece of paper lying at the front page. He stopped for a long time. Stared at it for far too long, cold sweat had trickled down Kristine's chest. Her chest started pounding loudly.

"Whoa! So this is where it went to. I was wondering where I put it." Christian said straightly.

Kristine's face fell. So he hadn't intentionally slipped it on her file for her to get?? Wasn't he even bothered that it could have fallen at the wrong hands and just be glad that she, who was involved was the one to get a hold of it.

He looked at her, dumbly she stared at him too, wondering how his voice could be so steady, when they're having this "serious" talk. Either that or Christian didn't qualify this as serious.

"Sorry. I didn't know you were talking about the designs you have for me?" he teased.

Seriously. Christian was really going to let her in a limbo and left her hanging guessing what his answer will be?

"Actually I made that up when I was bored. That night before you said your piece. I have found another woman to suit me Kristine." he answered smoothly, waiting for her reaction.

Kristine went red. Oh!! She hadn't thought that he would find a "woman" to suit him, that fast, immediately just days after she said her piece as he had bluntly put it. Well sorry for deciding late, she wanted to retort. So it was him and Jenna again?? She fought back crying or humiliate herself more.

She stood up, glad she was steady when all she could wish was the floor to open up and take her with it. She was so embarrassed to have taken this stupid relationship contract seriously. "I hope she will suit you fine then. Thanks atleast for considering me." God. What was she talking about. That was so low. To think she'd stoop low to this level just for this arrogant man. Why Cant he just returned her heart and leave her to die peacefully. She was at the door when he heard him talk.

"You passed."

She stopped at the door. What the hell was he talking about??

"Atleast I didn't lie the first time. I want you in my bed. Warm and Wanton. I don't want you to poke in my business and I wont bother you with yours. Is this clear??" he said seriously like talking about some business contract. They were talking about sex relationship right like two consenting adults.

She passed?? He was testing her?? "Yeah you got yourself a deal," she muttered, clutching at the door knob, her back at him.

"And please,don't fall inlove with me." He added as an afterthought.

Geez your warning came ages late, Kristine thought. She get out in haste.