Chapter Twenty One

Wayne's POV

I opened the door to tita Esther's hospital room and stepped in. I fell asleep last night on the couch with Tanya and left early in the morning to take a shower and to get us something to eat. I brought some food from the restaurant I saw on the way back here.

Tanya was still sleeping peacefully on the couch, on the same position as I left her in, when I got back. Tita Esther turned her head to me. Her gentle face was sunken in and she was pale as a paper but when she smiled at me, she radiated. Now I knew where Tanya got her smile. Tita Esther was thin and frail-looking but you could see that she'd been undoubtly beautiful in her younger years. Tanya doesn't look much like her mother, magkaiba sila ng ganda. But they both bring this calming presence, maybe it was because of their modesty, their gentle demeanor, and pensive softness of their form.

Tita Esther was the closest to a mother I have ever had. She became a special part of my life, she'd easily gotten under my skin. I'd never remember my mother cooking for me, I'd never had anyone in my family ask how I was doing, how was school, or how my day went. Tanya and her were the family I never had. As a child, I was always expected to be the parent. Picking up my pass out drunk mother from the marble floor, checking up on dad because she knew he was with another woman, and trying to prevent everything else from falling apart.

She lifted frail hand and motioned for me to come to her. I took a few steps and I was beside her hospital bed.

"Gusto niyo po bang kumain. Nagdala ako ng breakfast." I said as I put the paper bag on the table next to her bed.

She shook her head and reached for her oxygen mask, taking it off. "Gusto kitang makausap."

I swallowed feeling my throat get tight. I knew right then what she wanted to talk about. I grabbed a chair and sat next to her bed.

"Tita, gusto ko pong magpaliwanag." I started. "Alam kong sinabi na po sa'yo ni Tanya ang totoo. I'm not going to say that what Luis said were all lies but they were not the entire truth. Nakilala ko si Tanya dahil sa Blue Book. Yes,my original intention was not good but I fell in love with her. I fell so deeply and madly in love with her."

Her eyes bore sadness but she let out a small smile. "Alam kong mahal mo siya. Sa kilos mo pa lang alam ko na. Nararamdaman ko." She looked away from me and her voice started to quiver. "Ako ang dahilan kung bakit niya kinailangan pumasok sa ganong trabaho. Kung bakit pa kasi ako nagkasakit."

I took her hand and squeezed it. "Don't blame yourself, Tanya wouldn't want that."

"Wayne, anak." I felt her squeeze my hand back. "Alagaan mo si Tanya. Alam kong mahal na mahal niyo ang isa't isa. Huwag mo siyang pababayaan. Ipangako mo sa akin yan."

"Tita Esther..." My voice weakened.

"Gusto kong masigurong magiging maayos ang buhay niya. Ipangako mo sa akin na hindi mo pababayaan si Tanya."

"Opo." I finally said.

For the first time in a while I could see through the sharp bones that protude on her face some semblance of content and happiness. "Alam mo si Tanya, mabait na bata yan. Pero napakaiyakin. Madaling masaktan, madaling magdamdam. Kaya iingat mo siya."

"Opo." I answered. But then my brows furrowed in confusion. "Tita, why are you telling me all these?"

"Mahina na ako, Wayne. Hindi na kaya ng katawan ko." She smiled in the most calm and serene way.