Chapter Forty Three

"You already know that Therese is the result of an affair I had but I never told you about her mother. I didn't have a happy marriage with Eleanor. My family demanded I marry her for business alliances. Our marriage is simply just a business transaction, to say the least. I was lonely and I needed company. I had a short-lived affair with one of my employees and got her pregnant.That woman happened to be Almira St. Croix, Wayne's mother. After giving birth to our daughter, she gave Therese to me and I never saw her again."

I took in a sharp breath. "Ibig sabihin magkapatid si Wayne at Therese?"

"Yes..." Tiim na sabi ni George.

"And Therese is also my sister..." I quietly said as it slowly sank into me. Eleanor, George's wife, and the Sullivan's didn't want anything to do with Therese. Galing sa kilala at prominenteng pamilya si George, the Sullivan's were the descendants of a nobel family with George's father, my grandfather, being a Count. Habang nag-aaral ako noon sa Scotland kung saan niya ako dinala, ibinigay muna sa akin ni George si Therese noong sanggol pa lang siya para pansamantalang alagaan hanggang sa nahulog na ang loob ko sa bata. Soon, my whole world revolved around her. She erased the longing and emptiness I felt during that time. I decided to keep her for good and treat her as my daughter because I knew she needed a mother who'd love her and provide stability.

"Yes, but you are not related to him in anyway. Therese is the only blood that links the both of you to each other. You've been nothing but a wonderful mother to Therese, you took her in and treated her like your real daughter. You gave her everything you have, you've set aside your whole life for her. But I want you to have your own family too, Tanya, your own children. Gusto ko pang makilala ang magiging apo ko sa'yo." He smiled. "All I want is for you to find someone who would love and take care of you and Therese. Wayne filled the gaps in both your lives that I couldn't fill. I can see how much he loves the little one and Therese loves him just as much. She longs for a father figure that I never got to give to the two of you."

"That's not true. You've given us everything you could give and that's enough for us."

"Oh but you both deserve better than the life I've given you." Malamlam ang mga matang sabi niya.

"Alam na ba ni Wayne ang tungkol kay Therese?"

"He doesn't know yet. I only found out through investigating that Almira was married to a man named Enrico St. Croix, and she had a son with him and that's Wayne. I knew he was going to that charity party we went to and I wanted to meet him. I wanted to know what kind of person he is. I wanted to give Therese the chance to meet her brother so when I found out that he needed someone to invest on his business, I jumped at the opportunity. I just want someone to look after the two of you while I'm gone because someday I may not come back. I'm just making sure that when I leave, you girls are in good hands."

"George, huwag mo nga sabihin yan."

"You and Therese are the only thing that's worth keeping in my life." His eyes crinkled as he smiled again. "You know, I thank God everyday for paving a way for us to meet. You brought the happiness back in my life. You're like your mother, my lovely Esther. I'm glad you had her beautiful heart and her gentleness. Believe it or not, out of all the woman I've had in my life, Esther is the only one I've ever truly loved."

I could sense the sincerity and love in his voice. Tears began to film his eyes. "If I had known that I had gotten her pregnant I would've stayed with her. It was her who I wanted to marry. I would've given up everything for you and your mother. I would've given up my family, wealth, my whole life. I went back for her but she was already gone when I came back."

My parents' love story was a bittersweet one. Nagbago ang buhay ko ng mabasa ko ang nakasulat sa diary ni Nanay na nadala ko sa Japan. Doon ko nalaman ang sikreto ng pagkatao ko. Na hindi pala ako totoong anak ni Tatay Paeng. It said in her diary that she was already pregnant with me when she met him.