thirty five ~

• (Natsu's POV) •

"Will you marry me?" Sting asked her.

My mind was blank with shock.

He asked her to marry him.

Ms. Heartfilia wasn't lying.

Luce looked over the balcony, and I heard lots of people chanting "SAY YES! SAY YES!" Then she looked at me.

Her eyes were brimming with tears, and the look she gave me broke my heart.

"I'm sorry." It said.

I heard a voice in my head; it was Ms. Heartfilia's.

"Well then listen here boy, If she really does love you, she'll say no and run away with you into the sunset."

I know she will. My Luce. She'll say no. She has to.

I felt a tear run down my face.
"She'll say no." I whispered to myself.

She then turned to face Sting again.
"Well, what'd ya say?" He said to Luce.

I yelled out to her. "Luce! Say no!" She didn't turn to face me. Did she hear me? "I love you Luce!" I shouted, tears streaming down my face.

Please listen to me.

I was banging my fists against the door trying to get her attention, but no matter what I did she didn't look at me, just at the floor.

Then I saw her fists clench and shake. She looked up from the ground up at Sting.

"Yes." She said.

I stood there, frozen in disbelief.

S-sh-she said y-yes?

The crowd went up in cheer, squealing and shouting in joy, but I couldn't move.

"And you actually thought you had a chance with my daughter."

The words of Luce's mother rang through my ears. My eyes were cloudy from all the tears that had come out of them, but they just stopped. I looked at Luce and saw......

A smile?

"If she really did love me, eh?" I whispered. "If she really did love me, she would've said no...." I paused, clenching my fists. "And run away with me into the sunset."

I smirked, realising my mistake.

"How stupid of me." I sighed, a slight tinge of hatred in my voice. "How could I possibly believe such shit. That only happens in fairy tales." And I walked off home.

• (Lucy's POV) •

"Yes." I said.

The crowd went up in cheer. No!! Why did I say that!? What am I doing!? Stop!!! NATSU!

"I love you Lucy." Sting said to me, gently holding my hand. I fake smiled and nodded my head. I need to stop. To say no. I don't love you Sting!