Leaves (RomanoxReader)

You kicked off your shoes and plopped down on the sofa. Exhaling deeply, you ran a hand through your hair and closed your eyes.

You had another fight.

And it was over something ridiculous.

Flashback:

"Hey, Romano," you called as you opened the front door. No answer.

You walked deeper into the house and found the office door open. Stepping lightly on the floor, you peered into the study.

Sitting at the desk was none other than Romano himself. He was slumped over a bunch of papers, no doubt political matters, scribbling away furiously. You knocked on the doorframe lightly. His head shot up.

"Hey," you said softly. He swiveled around in his chair with an angry face. You flinched a bit at his glare.

"What do-a you want, idiot," Romano spat. "I'm-a obviously very busy. Why do you always have-a to get in my way when something is important?"

You felt a bit of annoyance at the Italian. But it wasn't his fault he forgot , right? He was swamped with work, so maybe it slipped his mind.

"I, um, just wanted to know what you wanted to do for dinner," you said. Romano glared more.

"I-a don't care. Now leave."

Tears pricked your eyes a bit. He had never been this nasty to you before. And today? Today of all days?

"Well, you know-" you started.

"I said, leave! I have-a too much work right-a now to think about other things! I-a don't care what you have to say, idiot. Leave-a me alone," Romano yelled and spun back around. You could feel the tears spilling over now.

"F-fine! I'll just leave, you know, and spend my anniversary ALONE!" You yelled back. Storming out of the room, you angrily wiped the tears from your checks. You were so not going to cry over some boy.

Flashback End

You rubbed your eyes and went to the kitchen to make your own "solo anniversary dinner." You didn't need Romano. You didn't need anyone.

You were a strong, independent woman who didn't need no other country.

You grabbed some pop tarts from the pantry and stuffed your mouth with them. Today was your day. You could do whatever you wanted. Romano didn't matter. Only you.

Suddenly, you felt more tears in your eyes. You didn't want to be alone. You wanted to spend your one year anniversary with the man you loved. Not by yourself.

You rested your arms on the counter and placed your head in them, crying slightly.

Then, you heard your front door open and then close.

"(Y/n)?" Called out a small voice. You kept your head in your arms and didn't bother to look up.

"Leave me alone," you muttered. You suddenly felt a hand coming back through your hair gently.

"(Y/n), look at me."

You slightly lifted your head and met hazel eyes. You blinked away a couple tears and stuffed your head back into your arms.

"Leave Romano. You obviously don't care about me." You mumbled at him. You heard a chuckle.

"Sweet-a bella, I forgot, yes, but I-a remember now," Romano said. You shook your head.

"It doesn't matter. Go back to your paperwork."

"We met under an oak-a tree. It was-a fall."

"Romano-"

"You-a were wearing jeans and a rock band t-shirt. I asked-a who they were. You said-a you didnt know; America just-a lent it to you."

"If you really think-"

"Your hair was blown back from-a the wind. It made it so-a that I could see your beautiful face. I-a remember that my heart almost-a leapt out of my chest at the sight of-a you."

"Seriously-"

"The-a leaves fell perfectly around you from-a that tree. You know what you said?"

There was a pause.

"'Do you know you get one happy day for every one you catch?' And-a you caught a couple in your hands. They were-a golden. Just-a like your heart."

You looked up at the Italian again. He smiled, one of the rare times he did. You couldn't help but smile back.

He then pulled a leaf out of his pocket; you recognized it as one of the ones from the oak tree, now dried up and crumbly, but he still had it.

"I-a have one of those happy days. I would-a like to make today one of them."

You blushed and Romano kissed you gently.

"I love you, Romano."

"As do I."
~*~*~*~*~*~*

A/n

Just a quick one-shot bc the other one I'm working on is taking forever and I don't have any ideas for preferences so hey

Thought this was cute

I just thought  of it now tbh lol

The leaves and the happy day quote that you supposedly said was a steal from a book I read lol

I think it was called Shiver?? Yeah the one about the people who are also wolves

That's a great book but I didn't finish the second one oops

Happy reading!!
~Art_and_Soullllllll