True Colours

6 years old

Jason sat on the bench under the shade of the giant oak tree in the school's yard. It was lunch and there where dominant boys running around the courtyard playing the human game of soccer. But his eyes weren't on the game.

On the other side of the courtyard, a boy with light brown hair sat on the concrete ground in the shade, leaning against a wall reading a book. Over the last few months; he began feeling so out of place. The only time they actually spoke now was whenever his sister decided to get Kian in trouble.

He'd sneak into his brother's room to look after him but at other times; it seemed as if Kian was deliberately pushing him away. Sure he smiled; but it was only with him. But it wasn't the same.

Most times; he couldn't read Kian's emotions and he'd mastered double entendres at such a young age. While he said one thing; he really meant another and usually; it was cruel. Not that Jason could blame his brother. His parents and sister were so mean to Kian; it made getting disinherited seem generous. Kian had been lied to, disinherited and abused all in two years.

Honestly; Jason wouldn't judge Kian for changing. There's no way a person could take that much abuse and not change.

And even though they'd grown distant in the last few months; he still felt happy. In all his family, he was the only one who got to see Kian's smile and laugh. He was the only one who saw the sub's carefree side. At least the sub hadn't gone completely cold and emotionless.

Getting up from the bench, Jason crossed the distance between him and his brother and plopped down next to him on the ground. Kian didn't even look up from his book.

"Kian?" Jason called looking to his brother hoping that the sub would at least acknowledge his presence. He got no reaction and he hated it that his brother was pushing him away because of the idiots he called a family.

They did this. They alienated a boy who only wanted to be loved and accepted. They alienated him from his own family just because he was an omega. "Kian, can you please look at me?" Jason tried again. He thought he wasn't going to get an answer or a reaction but he did.

The light brown haired boy sighed deeply before turning his head to look at his brother. It was only then that Jason realized why his brother refused to look at him. Where he'd been sitting on the bench; it was impossible to see it but now that he saw it; he felt angry. On the right side of the sub's face was a bright red bruise.

Jason tipped Kian's head to the side to get a better view of the damage done. "Who did this to you?" The dominant boy questioned as Kian roughly pulled away and pulled the hood of his jacket over his head.

"It doesn't matter." Kian replied his voice cold and unfeeling. Jason just stared at his brother incredulously.

"How do you mean? Someone hurt you Kian and I know dad didn't do that."

Kian rolled his eyes. Dad? Yeah, the man claimed he was his biological father but that was their only relation. James Anderson was no father of his. He lost his father two years ago in a rogue raid.

These people were just a temporary shelter...not even a haven. Just a shelter.

"I said it doesn't matter so just drop it." Then, another thought came to him. Jason was sitting with him. Sure, he liked Jason but it was only so much his brother really cared. The dominant boy rarely spoke to him either at home or at school so Kian found it pathetic Jason was only now willing to speak to him.

"Besides, why are you even talking to me?" Those words felt like a dagger to his heart. True; he'd barely spoke to the sub but can you really blame him? Their family was messed up on so many different levels and Kian's stoic attitude didn't help.

"Because I'm tired of widening the gap in our relationship and I can't have one with you if there's only one person in it. So will you tell me who hit you?"

Kian finally turned his head to look at his brother shocked to the core of his being. Their relationship was strange. He hated the fact that Jason could be so caring toward him and yet be so distant and cold. Then again; that wasn't his entire fault. But Jason was still trying to salvage their broken brotherhood where Kian had completely shut everyone out...including the only person to care about him since Tim died.

To say he felt like crap upon seeing the sincerity in Jason's eyes was an understatement. He felt remorse for pushing him away when all he'd ever tried to do was be there for him.

"It was Bradley." Kian answered before going back to his book. He wasn't sure what Jason planned to do and he hoped he did nothing.

Bradley was the beta's son and he only added to the abuse Kian faced at home. He was just like Paris. He'd often bully Kian and then run and tell lies saying how Kian had started it. He'd often use the lie that Kian had insulted him when it wasn't true at all. Bradley was a bully and he picked on Kian simply because he could.

He was the beta's son. He was always right even when he was in the wrong. They'd listen to him over Kian any day.

"He's still hurting you?" Jason asked confused about it. The last time he'd caught Bradley bullying his brother; he'd gotten into a fight with him to defend his brother. Jason had learnt that while a dominant's word was preferred over a sub's; the alpha and his son or daughter had that advantage over everyone in the pack. So, Jason had used it to his advantage and made Bradley look like an incompetent bully in front of his beta and alpha. Bradley had then sworn to leave Kian alone.

Or so Jason thought...

"What do mean? He's never stopped."

**********

Jason stopped as he heard a sound like grunting but it sounded very familiar. He was making his way to the lunch room when he heard it and it actually made him stop. He was going to ignore but something just kept telling him to go check it out.

Switching directions; the dominant boy peeked around the corner to find the source of the sound and immediately; he felt rage build up inside him.

But while it was directed at the scene; it was more directed at his brother. Kian lay on the concrete shielding his head with his arms as Bradley and his cronies; a bunch of second-rate dominant boys there age reigned kick after kick and insults down on him.

Why isn't the idiot doing anything? Kian was taller and stronger than a lot of the other subs in their pack so Jason knew that his brother could afford to stand up to his bullies; yet he refused to so. Instead; he just took the beating and insults.

Finally having seen enough; Jason stormed over and dropped his school bag on the ground. "Hey, why don't idiots mess with someone your own size?"

"Stay out of this Jason!" Bradley barked earning him a growl from the possible future alpha of the Kanine Pack.

"Make me!" Jason said daring as he took a step closer to the group. Jason passes a distasteful look to the other dominant boys who scattered immediately leaving Bradley to his own. Realizing he was now alone; with no back-up as the other boys quickly ran into the school, Bradley held his hands up as he stepped back.

"Jason, I'm sorry. I'll leave him alone...I-I swear." He begged.

"Chickening out because you've got no back-up; you're a disgrace to the beta title." Jason came forward and grabbed the Bradley by the collar of his shirt.

"Leave my brother alone or the next time you touch him; I'll make sure you suffer and I'll see to it that you have your rank taken from you." Jason said then roughly pushed Bradley back and slammed his fist into the other boy's jaw.

By the time Jason turned around to check on Kian; the sub was already halfway across the courtyard heading to the other side of the school. The dominant boy frowned. "Not even a thank you." Jason shook his head. He'd interrogate Kian about later since it seemed his brother had no desire to see him.