Fake Mate

Kian lay on his bed groaning in agony while he patiently waited for the pain in his eye and stomach to ease. He'd have to find an excuse as to why he'd have a black eye when the others asked him. He couldn't exactly conceal it and act like nothing ever happened.

Maybe if he lied and told them he'd gotten into a fight with another sub or maybe even a dominant. Even though he wasn't the violent type to act out, he'd been in a very sour mood these past few weeks and the smallest things seemed to trip him off.

Two weeks later

Fang nudged Liam with his elbow as his eyes trailed Kian. "What's his deal?" he asked. Liam looked over to Kian then back to Fang.

"You haven't heard? Kian's parents are threatening to kill him if he doesn't find his mate; well his dad anyway."

"WHAT?" Liam jumped a little at Fang's unexpected angry bellow. The black haired seemed surprised that Liam would say something like that so non-chalantly. It wasn't the weather they were talking about; it was someone's life.

"Why are you angry?" Liam cried.

"Why aren't you?" Fang yelled drawing a few stares. He didn't think for a second, things could get this out of control. He always seemed so happy and carefree that everyone would think Kian had it all.

He did; wasn't his mother the alpha of his pack now?

Though now that he thought about it; it would explain some of the guarded glares he'd sometimes catch Kian giving to subs with their mates. He sometimes did it to Jesse. Kian wanted to find his mate...or rather; he needed to. Then there was the fact that he'd been on edge these past few weeks; he rarely spoke to anyone and just usually glared at everyone with a mate. In addition to that, there was his recently healed black eye.

"How bad is it?" Fang asked.

"He's giving him until his eighteenth birthday to find his mate. If he doesn't they'll kill him. Kian's birthday is in four days." Liam explained.

"Even if he goes rogue?" Fang asked realizing the true horror of Kian's life when Liam nodded. "Why would he do this to him?"

"They wanted dominant kids; male and female. Kian; is the youngest of three children and the omega. They disowned him. His only worth to the pack is his mate." Liam continued. Fang ran a frustrated hand through his hair as he looked away from Liam.

"How do you know all this? You and Kian aren't that close." Fang stated.

Liam shrugged his shoulders in agreement. It was a slip of the tongue actually; or rather, the slip of Kian's sanity that had everything gushing out like an overflowing river. Liam sighed. "The other day, we were talking and then...he just snapped."

"We have to do something. We can't let him go back there...and mate-less."

"What? You want us to find someone to pretend to be his mate so his father won't kill him?"

"That's a brilliant idea." Fang said lightly punching Liam on the shoulder and running toward Kian.

"That wasn't an idea!" Liam shouted back to Fang but the black haired sub paid him no mind.

Fang ran up to Kian and offered his friend a reassuring smile that had the sub giving him a suspicious look. "You and I need to talk after practice; so don't go anywhere. I'll come find you in your dorm room."

**********

"Were you going to tell Riley and me that your father is threatening you or were you going to pretend like nothing is happening?" Fang asked as soon as he walked through the door and found Kian lying on his bed under the covers.