Moving Forward

Two days after the incident

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Jason asked his little brother while they walked into what was once the former alpha's office. As punishment, they'd decided that it would be fair if James had to live through the degradation he'd dealt his own mate. It was a cruel but fair fate. His punishment, however, had been deemed kind by other pack members in light of what they'd suffered during his reign.

Kian tugged at the collar of his flannel shirt and nervously gulped. He had no idea what response he'd get to his father seeing him but he needed this if he was to ever move on. Maybe he was missing a few screws in his head, or maybe his mind was just twisted in a sadistic manner; but for all the wrong James had forced onto the sub and others, he wanted to see the man suffer.

"Yes; I need some peace of mind and to do that, I need to give him a piece of my mind." Kian replied surprised at the confidence in his voice. Giving his brother the okay, he stepped back to let Jason open the door that led down to the room. Jason led the way and had insisted he join Kian. Even though James was locked up with no guarantee of escape unless he received help, the dominant wasn't fond of leaving Kian alone with the man.

He may not use his brute strength to deflate Kian's confidence and happiness, but he could use his words.

Kian took the steps one at a time carefully thinking of the right things to say. He'd come prepared. He knew his father would try to use his words to deflate his confidence and make him second guess his mate's loyalty, that's why he'd thought of comebacks to anything his father could possibly say.

He made it down to the last step and stepped off immediately looking to his left where his father sat chained in a large cage. His face was bruised and cut and several smaller bruises and cuts like the ones on his face covered where his arms were exposed. He looked tired and defeated, a slight trace of fear etched onto his features. His eyes were pointed to floor, his hands chained to a shackle on each arm leading to either ends of the cage. His legs were folded beneath him and he seemed to be in daze.

Kian took in the sight of his father and he almost felt sorry for him. Despite the beatings and humiliation, threats and accusations, he came close to feeling bad for the man. Maybe the sub would've felt bad and asked that he be unchained had the man not attempted to drive a wedge between Kian and Nate; but he'd framed Nate for a crime he hadn't committed and made the sub rogue just so that he could kill him.

"Your plan failed." Kian said sternly walking up to the cage. At first, Kian thought James hadn't heard him since he got no vocal or physical response. He was about to repeat himself when James slowly lifted his head and scowled at the sub. His eyes were cold and filled with hatred so deep they rivalled the goddess Styx. His lips were twisted in anger and his nostrils flared.

Kian rolled his eyes and scoffed. "With the way you look, you're in no position to glare at me especially for everything you've done to me." Kian said looking to the man inside the cage. He then took a deep breath and shook his head. He didn't really have a mean bone in his body but given everything he'd suffered through, he didn't think there was anything bad in being mean and heartless toward someone who hadn't acknowledged his presence with a kind word. At one point, he would've done anything if only it meant his birth father looking at him with anything other than contempt and hatred. Now, it didn't matter.

He'd tried so hard as a child to please his father but eventually, sooner rather than later, he realized that his father was never going to see him as anything more than a lowlife. So, he'd given up and just went with the flow. If his father was determined to keep looking down on him, there was no point in trying.