Challenging the Alpha

Two weeks later...

They'd been summoned; ordered to cut short their pool day because someone of importance was here at Pittsburgh to see them. As they walked into the conference room of the main building of the mansion, Kian skidded to a halt as a small gasp escaped his lips. His entire body went stiff as he left his breath leaving him and his only instinct was to run.

Fear pounded through his veins and his heart ran a marathon. He slid his gaze over to his friends to see if by chance they could hear the loud thumping of his heart. It banged against his ribcage and echoed in his ears blocking out all other sounds.

Fear.

Usually, his alpha would be informed of his whereabouts and usually didn't mind him being away but his father didn't know that he'd planned to stay the whole summer in Pittsburgh. Usually, he would have returned at the end of the second week but now it was the middle of the third week.

Kian looked at Riley to see the sub's lips twisted with disgust and his glare fixated on the Kanine alpha. Fang was looking at him then to Riley and then to James back and forth awaiting an explanation for the glare on Riley's face and the fear stricken expression plastered on the brown haired sub's face.

"I thought your mother could keep him at bay for the summer." Riley muttered angrily through gritted teeth.

"He's the alpha; not even my mother can go against his wishes." Kian replied surprising himself at the steadiness of his voice and the strength in it regardless of the fear that rode him.

"Riley." Rush called looking over to his youngest son. The honey blond sub shook his head and forced his emotions into restraint pulling on a mask of stoicism as he walked toward his father. Looking back over his shoulder, he noticed the fear stricken look on Kian's face as his eyes never once trailed from his alpha and the expression on Fang's face seemed calm but there was violent storm brewing in his eyes.

Those bright green eyes now seemed dark and murderous as his eyes were pinned on the Kanine alpha and he seemed to take a protective stance of the brown haired sub. Together, like a wall built from warriors advancing toward the enemy in the heat of battle, they approached.

"Yes father?" Riley said but he could not stop the venom from leaking through its barrier in his voice. He never did like Kian's father, at least now he knew why. Even though he still did not know the nature of Kian's night terrors, he could bet and win, that James had something to do with it. The man looked like a fucking serpent just waiting to attack his prey at the right moment.

Plus, once, he had seen scars on Kian's shoulders like he'd been beaten with a whip.

"What is this I hear about you and Fang keeping Kian here at Pittsburgh when he was supposed to return home last week?" Rush asked his eyes showing disappointment.

Rush was a man who was proud of all his children but if another alpha had to come bearing bad news about his children; he questioned it and felt somewhat disappointed. This was unlike Riley. But, if he knew anything about his children, they never defied authority without a valid reason.

"He's not going back there." Fang spoke softly but there was a frighteningly dangerous strength in his voice despite the fact that he spoke calmly.

"Excuse me?" James retorted dumbfounded and offended at being spoken to by someone so miniscule. He was an alpha. He'd made it clear that no omega was to meet his gaze without his permission yet here stood this person of no significance meeting him eye to eye with an unflinching gaze.

"I said: he's not going back there." Fang reiterated his fists clenching tightly and a tic working in his jaw. Kian's eyes dashed from his father and the homicidal glare in his eyes then back to his friend. He wasn't sure which would be worse; if his father turned on Fang for defending him or his own punishment for defying him.