Kanine Meets Fake Mate

Summer; eighteen years old

The car pulled up to the front of the gate and came to a stop as the driver rolled down the window to exchange words with the guard. Nate sat next to Kian in the backseat of the car and noticed how the sub's mood changed significantly.

More than anything, he wanted to understand Kian and the constant fear he seemed to live in. The guard at the gate let them through and within a few seconds, seemingly faster than Kian had hoped for; they were getting out of the car and proceeding to take out their baggage.

Taking out the last of his stuff from the trunk, Kian slumped against the car as the full weight of what they were doing crashed down on him. The thought of his father learning the truth about their little game worried him but mostly, it was the aftermath of what would follow.

Would his father kill him? Or would the old fucker turn him rogue? But what scared Kian the most was his calmness and complete acceptance of what may follow should his father learn the truth. He was fine with becoming a rogue as he was being dead. He'd lost the will to fight only going along with the plan because he saw no point in fighting. He saw no point in trying to get it through to them that he was already dead.

He hadn't heard a single word from Jason in months and he was beginning to wonder whether his father really had killed or turned his brother rogue for his alliance with their mother. Maybe that's why Jason hadn't been able to contact him.

That was another reason why he didn't possess the will to fight. Jason would've been his strongest ally in this fight but now...who did he have?

The moment of truth lay behind the front door to the mansion. Maybe he would find out what really happened Jason.

"Kian?" Nate called snapping the sub's attention back to reality as in not the confinement of his own thoughts. "Are you okay?"

Of course he's not fine you jackass! Nate scolded himself. The guy's mother is dead and he assumes his father killed his mother in a power struggle. He hasn't heard from his brother in months plus his life is on the line. Of course Kian would be anything but fine.

"No...not really." Kian answered honestly. Despite all that had happened between them and the tension that had managed to wriggle its way in their relationship for months, the sub was happy to see that Nate was just as sweet as ever. He couldn't help the small smile that tugged at his lips at the dominant's sincere gesture of courage.

The dominant simply took one of Kian's hands into his giving it a slight squeeze as if to assure him. "Come on, let's get this over with. You're not alone in this."

Straightening himself, Kian let out a deep breath to ease his nerves. He was actually glad that Nate was here with him. At least he wouldn't have to face his father alone.

**********

Kian stopped in his unpacking to look at Nate who was still standing at the doorway while his eyes trailed over the room and the various things in it. "Nate?" Kian called drawing the dominant's attention to him. The dominant shook his head before offering the sub a small smile.

"Sorry, I've never been inside a mansion before." He answered honestly as he made his way over to the sub.

"I could've told you that." Kian replied with a small chuckle as the dominant placed his bags on the bed beside Kian's half unpacked ones.

"So...where do I sleep?" Nate asked plopping down on the bed.

"On the floor." Kian shot back returning to unpacking his things.